Accuphase with Morrow cables

Discussion in 'Compatible Equipment' started by Rtan4mus, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

I had an old accuphase E406 for more than a year, with ma4 from the dac, and the Dig3 from the link. It's sound was so smooth and detailed without any harshness in the highs at all. I had some listening sessions that lasted 4 to 5 hours and never felt fatigued. I had since sold it and still miss it till now. Wonder what other amps would you guys recommend? I have now the SP5 and it has improved my current set up a fair bit. I'm using the Marantz cd6004 and KI Pearl Lite amp.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

If you can afford the shipping from the US, the Emotiva products are really good.
  3. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

Yah, read alot about it. Best bang for the buck kind of amp. Interesting to read about their XPA1, but little written about their pre amp though.
  4. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

They recommend a dedidated 20amp outlet for their top of line amps, with them running full steam during a party will dim my house without me having to install any dimmers, LOL. My house has only a 30amp line in from the govt.
  5. Ernie Adams

Their UPA line is not bad. As well as their basic USP1 preamp. I have both in a 2nd system, and it sounds very nice.
  6. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

The Parasound Halo line is unbeatable for the money. A company that has been around for a long time and products that have high resale on the used market when and if you ever wish to sell. Many item's also designed by one of the greatest minds in audio John Curl. You can buy cheaper but I am confident not better. All you have to do is look at all of the stellar reviews on almost all of their offerings. As always nothing more than my opinion.
  7. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

I read lots of good things about the halo 21 but the problem here is it's impossible to get any demo let alone home trial. I have to buy"blind" just based purely on reviews and forums for my purchases. My Pearl Lite is a fine amp, but it's a little forward and I feel fatigued after 2 hours listening. I listened to all kinds of music from Mayhemn Steamroller to Cucso to Hiroshima and singers like Dolly, LeeAnn W., Eric C., Dionne Warwick. So this wide repertoire has me buried in the hay stack. Even speakers has a big influence on the music . I tried a couple of speakers before settling on my polk LSiM705 it has the bass I wanted with not so harsh a high. Well there are plenty of bass but not so tight as some, but then it moves the music along fine. The amp is now my next target and hope do not have to go through the costly trials like the speakers.
  8. Ernie Adams

Halo is very good indeed. I considered them very much before I decided on Emotiva.
  9. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

My midfi system is basically complete with Marantz PM Pearl Lite, CD6004, MF Combi for digital, Polk LSiM speakers and all Morrow cables (except the IC for CDP). Have to wait for the room treatments to be done before embarking on anything. Hope it can be my "final system" for at least 2 to 3 years before changing anything.

Sad thing now seeing all the buzz on vinyl. I was into hifi in the 80s, but gave up due to house, children and education. Gave away everything, and the one that hits me most now is the Linn Sondek TT with Shure cartridge and all the vinyl. It will cost a fortune now to get what was given away then :mad::(
  10. Ernie Adams

You GAVE AWAY a Linn Sondek!?!? Man, why doesn't anyone ever do that my way sometime. Seriously, I know it hurts. I got rid of an Audio Research SP3a preamplifier a long time ago.
  11. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

Tbose were the days :-(. It's a combination of so many things, new job, moving house, baby on the way and my re education. I had no formal education till I was 30. Still hurts every time I see one put up for sale.
  12. jedinite24

jedinite24 Member

Hi

I have an Accuphase C200 preamp and have used Morrow MA 1.1 and MA@ ICs with it and they were a nice pairing. I also have a vintage Accuphase E205 Integrated where I also used Morrow MA1.1 ICs and SP3 speaker wire with. My SP3s are older have have these micro spades that fit into the old screwposts. The power section of as well as overall clean sound that Accuphase brings is hard to beat. I would say if you want something different got for a tube amp. In place of my E205 I rotate in a Jolida 502P amp periodically. Really nice sound too. Maybe not as forward because of the tubes I have in there but a very nice clean sound. Wire wise it is all Morrow again. Morrow MA2 ICs and Morrow SP2 speaker wire.

I've had the Emotiva USP-1 and it is a quality piece of gear. The Emotiva UPA line though for me sounded better in an HT set-up. I found my preference was for Accuphase or the Jolida for 2 channel music enjoyment.
  13. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

I still miss my e406. It's clean and smooth sound is good for long listening hours without any fatigue.
  14. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

Coincident is great stuff.
  15. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

Got my SA8005 on Fruday and the MA5 on Sunday. It would have been wonderful but I got the balanced cable which the sa8005 does not have the output in balance. Looks lime either I change tbe connectors or upgrade it tbe next opportunity arises. Wrote to Mike on Sunday but still no respobse yet. Looks like they are busy with the current promotion (wow 35%).
  16. Ernie Adams

Man, that's a bummer. Hope you get it worked out. I did some wall treatments in my main listening room. Seems to have helped. I'm at a point now where not much more can be done without thousands being spent.
  17. Weber

Weber Active Member

The parsound a21 halo is a very powerful and great sounding amp.The only thing I can say about it is it blew up a set of Dahlquist dq 10's.Those speaker meet there maker with it.The guy then got a set of dq 30i's and it can't hurt them.He has tried many times to kill them.It burned out 4 mid domes, 5 tweeters and 1 woffer.The a23 is a very nice amp.
  18. Weber

Weber Active Member

Hey Erine how do you think one of the Emotiva stuff would sound on the dq10's ? I repaired all the blowed drives in them.Now looking for some power to run them with.
  19. Ernie Adams

Most of the Emo stuff is quite powerful. I own the UPA200 and the XPA-2. I love them both, but my reference is the XPA-2. It's a powerhouse. With the Morrow cables and my Music Hall 9.1, I have a soundstage that is amazing. It fills the room. Dahquist's are great speakers, and if they are restored correctly, you have something really special. I heard them many years ago and was quite impressed.
  20. Weber

Weber Active Member

Hey Ernie,I did a complete over haul on them.Ragnar in NY rebuilt the woffers and dome mids.Rewired them with 16 awg silver plated ofc.All new capps and restiors.Sealed up the cabs.They look and sound better than new.I'll look over those amps and preamps.Thanks for your input.