Best way to break-in a phono cable

Discussion in 'My breakin questions, experience or advice' started by Basil H, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Basil H

Basil H Well-Known Member

Hi there, I have a new PH3 phono cable on order (replacing a used PH1) and just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to break it in...other than using it between my turntable and pre-amp that is...should I treat it like a standard interconnect and use it between say a DAC and amp or Blu-Ray player and HT receiver?
  2. Hey Basil H, you might want to post your question on the Morrow Phono Cables thread under Morrow Audio Cables...
  3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

When my PH2 cables arrived I hooked them up to a portable cd playerI had laying around and the other end to a pair of unused inputs on my preamp. I hit repeat with a cd that spanned the frequency range and let it spin for 10 days. The preamp does not have to be on.
  4. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Yes, buning in on a CD player on repeat will give you your quickest way to audio nirvana.
  5. Basil H

Thank fellas, now I just have to wait for them to arrive!
  6. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Fully break them in and you will be as giddy as a school girl:)
  7. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

I concur that hooking them between a CD player and preamp, with a CD playing on repeat is the best way. If however a person orders phono cables with a DIN connector, one is out of luck and REALLY should get the breakin service.
    jedinite24 likes this.
  8. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

Did this on the Garage System and it works very well and now the PH2's are fully broken in and WOW!!
  9. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are happy with the cable. I have been using the 2's for about half a year now and I am still feeling no need to upgrade just yet. Ask me in a couple of months and I may be ready then :)
  10. Lewis Smith

The PH2's are sounding great! But as Ernie said the 6's are being built as we speak but I will have to settle for now and enjoy what I have!!!
  11. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

I can tell you from first hand experience, something magical happens with the 6's.
  12. Basil H

Had a feeling you would say that Ernie ;)...meanwhile...I'm enjoying my PH3's but there's this nagging feeling that I'm not done yet :rolleyes:

Will just have to bide my time before I make the next jump...I think PH6's are a big stretch for me so will have to think about where to go from here and when
  13. Lewis Smith

Well I thought they where fully broke in they sounded great and now ???? So back to the Garage and repeated play!!!
    Basil H likes this.
  14. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

You're not done yet, mister! Back to the burn-in mines! -->>>>

:D
  15. Lewis Smith

IC's and Speaker Cables are so easy to break in but d### PH's are a bit tricky they come and go !!! And a lot of hours to go yet!
  16. jedinite24

jedinite24 Member

I bought a pair of used PH2 cables a couple of months ago and I broke them in for 2 weeks using an old CD player connected to a preamp. Worked great for me now I use the PH2 cables between my TT and phono preamp and my vinyl playback sounds oh so good.
  17. Lewis Smith

Even after the burn in service I still had to put mine on a CDP on repeated play!!
  18. jedinite24

jedinite24 Member

You too. I had the same experience with some of the MA2s I bought. I thought I was the only one.
  19. Lewis Smith

My PH2's sounded great right out of the box and then went to bad one day and so i put them on repeat on the garage system and let them burn in and now it's like night and day !!!
  20. Weber

Weber Active Member

Used ph3's on the way.I have the din plug on them.Hope they have lots of hrs on them,that way I will only need to wake them up.