Cambridge cd-dvd player

Discussion in 'CD players, transports and DAC's' started by craigaudio, Mar 12, 2014.

1. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

Cambridge Audio - Azur 752BD Universal Upsampling Blu-ray, DVD & CD player

Any thoughts on this as a replacement for my older Sony DVD player.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

At that level, you may want to consider the Oppo's. Incredible customer service and the 105 has an audio section that is hard to beat.
  3. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

Who out here has Oppo's in their system?
  4. swamp shark

swamp shark Active Member

Oppo BDP 95 in my system, and LOVE it. Been replaced by BDP 105, with more inputs, including USB DAC input , streams computer through hi end DAC. You will need 7.1 analog inputs on your processor to take full advantage of the Oppo 105/95, and using the 7.1 analogs is a HUGE step up. Both are excellent units, the Cambridge 752 is more like the Oppo 103,and 700 less. Oppo's your best value,IMHO.
  5. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

I found this on a site EVS...it is talking about modifications to the Oppo 95...are these necessary to have it work in my system? I don't want a $1000 machine that I have modify just to enjoy it.

Hey swamp shark Did you do any of these mods?
    From the Evs site...
    In the last 6 months fine tuning this mod to give the best sound by far that I have ever heard from digital. This modded machine will re-write what value is. The digital volume control in the Oppo 95 works in the DAC and is operating at 32 bits....so digital attenuation is transparent. Great for running the machine directly to your amps!!!

Check out the pic at the bottom of the page to see for yourself how serious tweaking looks.

Link to page describing the differences between our mods and others.

Standard Mods:

Stereo analog out mod: 5-13-2013...updated mod: $650 for unbalanced only, $750 for both unbalanced and balanced outs.

We remove various distortion producing parts in the AC supply, damp parts in the AC supply, and change the main diodes in the switching supply. We reduce noise by wiring techniques and isolate the linear toroidal transformer from the chassis and mount it on a piece of thick pressboard.
    Damp the transport in various ways and black all around the laser assembly and underneath the transport cover to reduce laser reflections. We ground the cover of the transport. ( New for 2013...we damp the transport tray and apply a black inked green thick paper to the tray for seriously better sound. We also damp some caps with a new damping/shielding material).
    Remove the toslink connector as this is an LED and they mess up the sound. (please let us know in advance if you do not want us to remove the toslink connector)
    Change the diodes in the analog linear supply and use a special technique to reduce ringing in the transformer when the diodes shut off.
    (New for 2013): Remove the entire two channel output stage and substitute our own hand wired perf board with a zero feedback J-fet circuit. The output coupling cap has a WA Qauntum chip on it and so the its .33 modded Wima cap. The resistors used are state of the art surface mount jobbies(extremely small and hard to work with). The output voltage is 1Vs RMS on each phase (stock it is 2.1V). This output stage might not work well in a passive based system or where you are running the amps directly from the Oppo. If you have a premap then you are fine. We use a separate discrete low impedance cascoded current source shunt regulator for this output stage. This regulator is made by hand on two separate perf boards and hardwired in.

Multichannel mod (better center channel) addition to stereo: All outputs (2 channel and 8 channel) are improved by the above mods. However, only the stereo outs have the super output stage and better parallel DAC. Here is the good part: when playing multichannel you can set the Oppo up to have the front stereo channels be the left and right surround channels. This way the front channels get the advantage of the parallel DACs, super output stage and my better power supplies. I can additionally modify the center channel using the same output stage as the stereo outs and run this output stage on separate modified Dexa regulators. I don't think you would get much of a sonic improvement to do the surround channels nor the sub channel. The cost of the center only mod would be $175 .
  6. swamp shark

Haven't done any mods on my BDP 95, as it sounds awesome to me as is. You will need 7.1 analog inputs on your AV32r to be able to use the 7.1 analog outs on the Oppo 95 or 105 If the AV32r does not have HDMI capabilities ,you may want to consider a newer surround processor. You could pick up a used Emotiva UMC 1 for 3-400 bucks, that will give you audiophile sound and all the connections you need(what I currently use), for less price than the mods on the BDP 95,and would not limit you if you hooked up the modded BDP 95 directly to the amp, and losing FM, phono,etc. Hope this helps.
  7. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

Absolutely! You know your stuff! The preamp has 7.1 inputs in it, I just don't have the extra speakers in place anymore, they got in the way and I really didn't notice that much of a different sound with them in, it was probably the speakers, just a extra set of tower speakers I had from my 2 channel set up. If I go with the 95 I think I will get more serious about the extra set. Do you know anything about the Oppo 103? And how it varies from the rest of the line up. All the reviews say its awesome as well.
  8. swamp shark

The DAC fed 7.1 analog outputs on both BDP95/105 , rather than HDMI outs on BDP 93/103, and using analog outs is HUGE ! You can go 5.1 with the Oppos as well. The 105 has DAC for streaming from your computer as well .For using a projector the 105 darby edition, would be a big plus as well as my recommendation, if it's in your budget. Changing from the Sony, to the Oppo's or Cambridge will make you sh t ,after your first listen ! Like Morrow cables the Oppo has a 400 hr break in too.
  9. Ernie Adams

Emotiva is supposed to be coming out with a new processor in April. A bit pricey, but supposed to be able to hang with the best of the best, so it is actually a bargain. 7.1 capable, with built I room correction.
  10. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

I think the 103 with the Darbee edition is the one that I can afford. I am scanning eBay , Oppo and all the sites that I know and in the $700 range is where I Need to be. I am waiting for a response from Oppo to see if they want to make me a deal on one. It couldn't hurt to try...
  11. Ernie Adams

They have been known to do some amazing things at times. Go for it.
  12. swamp shark

Just did some google searches and see the 103 now has 7.1 analog outs, so it should work with a non HDMI processor. The 105/95 would be a BIG step up in S.Q. with DAC's on analog outs for your nice set up. Another alternative could be a used 95, saw one on Fleabay in your price range.... I understand about budgets too ! :)
  13. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

Umc 1 for $300.00 or the yet to be released Xmc for $1200.00????? I just ordered the OPPO 103 darbee edition... I am finding out that 15 year old system is lacking in a couple of spots....not all just a couple.
  14. Ernie Adams

XMC is upgradable and has built in software for room correction I believe. If I had the money, and were doing what you are doing, the XMC would be my choice......IMHO.
  15. swamp shark

You have very nice gear craig, the Oppo will make it sing and the Darbee should improve an already excellent video output as well. You will need an upgrade certificate to get the 1200 dollar price on the XMC 1, which I have been on the waiting list for 2 years to make it's debut. Even at full retail, it should be a bargain, compared to competitors pricing, and Emo build quality is outstanding. Rock on !
  16. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

On ebay you can get an upgrade card for $200, even at $1400 it is still better than the full price of $2000. But what do you with the old unit, have to sell it or use or in a second system? it is not a trade in your old equipment and get a discount is it? you just have use the card toward the purchase of the new unit correct?

I am very excited to try all of my stuff together and upgraded! I just got a umc 1 for $200 from the emotiva forums, the $1500 - $2000 tag for the xmc 1 is not going to happen this year. I decided to add room upgrades instead, la-z-boys for him and her, room treatments with foam, insulation and panels, moving and installing the projector and screen and dedicated power lines from the breaker box, and the Oppo 103 darbee edition. If anyone has any opinions on how to connect it all and how to place it in the room, hold that thought...because I am going all Morrow Ma 5's and SP 6, and got the expert advice and room layout from GIK acoustics, he gave me a diagram with exact measurements on where to put what and how to hang them to get what he thinks will be the best for my room. It should be an adventure building it and finally enjoying it!

Im still going to go to Axpona and see what they have to offer and how I can spend any money I left over next year.
  17. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

No expert advice here JUST Enjoy and keep us Posted!!!
  18. swamp shark

Awesome, 200 for an upgrade card is a sweet deal, and 200 for a UMC 1 is a steal ! An upgrade card is a loyalty perk no trade in, mine came with the UMC 1. The 103D is a very sweet unit ! A rug for your nice wood floors is one sound reflection absorber idea as well .Happy listening !
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  19. craigaudio

craigaudio Member

I talked with OPPO about every unit they had or did have and the guy suggested that what I am using it for with the equipment that I have that the 103 with the Darbee edition would be awesome... Its what he would buy
  20. swamp shark

Was his Oppo hooked up with Morrow cables though ? Lol, hopefully I am no too over zealous in my opinions, just an honest sharing of my experience with my system using HDMI outs and analog outs. Emo. Oppo and Morrow = a sort of sonic Holy trinity. :)