CD's

Discussion in 'CD players, transports and DAC's' started by Lewis Smith, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

At one time in my life I said I was doing away with Vinyl and went to CD's and now I like Digital with things such as Pandora and Radio Paradise! I went by the local music store and looked at Cd's and said no way am I paying that price when I can hit a button and listen and I understand sound quality of vinyl and the such. But as the world goes on we are all on the go and just don't have the time to listen to side A then get up and put on side B and with the right equipment Digital sounds great. So give me your thoughts as I can't give anyone a CD anymore because it is all on the phone or laptop.
  2. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

I'm very impressed with a Pro Ject Dock Box S with a old iPhone 4 and some MA1's and some SP'2 in the shop and thinking about getting another Dock Box for my main room and donate my CD'S to goodwill.
  3. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

So my question is why do we need a CDP. When all this music is there for Free and and you use the technology out there why should I buy another CD?
  4. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I don't upload, download or stream. Some people collect stamps others collect comic books and yet others may collect buttons. I collect music. I enjoy having the physical media in my possession. I have so many albums and cd's that are now collectable and worth so much more then what I paid for them. I take great pride in my collection and hope some day if need be it may supplement my retirement. Not that was ever the intention when I started my great musical quest well over forty years ago. Grant it I also have a ton of crap that isn't worth Diddly squat! I am a music hoarder and damn proud of it. An album in one hand and a cd in the other will have to be pried out of my cold dead hands some day :)
    Ernie Adams likes this.
  5. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

And I Fully understand that but I myself have reached a point in my life where I don't need all this stuff and when you go to the shows everyone is doing digital and with the right equipment Digital sounds great and so the debate goes on! So do we go Digital or hang on to the old technology of yesterday? That is my question why should I buy a $1500 cdp when I can download ?
  6. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

Just putting the question out there ?
  7. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

And Bonz I still have all my Reel to Reel tapes still Sealed and a lot of 8 track tapes lol!
  8. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

So if I want to listen to Van Morrison do I change a CD or just hit a button or maybe Steely.Dan or some Moby ?? or some Sade or some santana or beatles just hit the button and with a good d/a converter it can sound as good as a CD and as I said just putting the question out there.
  9. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

At the local music store they give you a $1 for used CD'S for something that I paid $12 to get so no one wants CD'S anymore it's just the new technology out there and I must agree with it so we can hang on to the old or get with the new.
  10. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

As I listen to Moon Glide by Praful. On Pandora out in garage with a simple iPhone and a Dock Box and can't tell a difference between a CD and Digital.
  11. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

IMHO, What I have recorded via computer to disc, then played, is not as good as a store bought CD, and definitely not as good as a quality vinyl album.....IMHO. Now I also do not stream, or own a DAC, so I can not give a full 100% opinion, just what I like for me. Bonz, we may be a dying breed.
    Bonz likes this.
  12. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

Ernie and Bonz you are not a dieing breed I love vinyl and I do agree it has a better sound it's just Digital is so Easy and with the right equipment Digital can Sound Great so the question remains are You in with the new or the old? As no one wants a CDP. Or CD'S anymore.
  13. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

My wife and kids stream music all day long and it definitely does not sound as good as a cd or vinyl at this point in time. The bit rate is still not as great as a cd. The only downloads that are as good if not better are costing more than a cd and these are 24/96 minimum. If your system is capable of resolving the finer nuances it is easily heard. Just listen to the gradation between the attack and decay between notes. Also the soundstage and depth of sound let alone the fatigue factor . As background music it's fine but for critical listening it is not my cup of tea. This is just my personal experience and feelings.
    Lewis Smith and Ernie Adams like this.
  14. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

And I understand and I agree but I put the question out there so let's see what happens and if the people on this forum will respond. At all the Shows they do digital and I personally like it but I must admit that I heard a Dave Brubeck. Album on 45rpm. That blew me away last weekend.
  15. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

I am on old fart. Like to touch and hold what I play.
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  16. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

I like having an album (CD or LP) with all of the tracks that the artist intended. It's great to get a specific track from a download or an online site, or listening to the radio, but you can lose something of the concept or feel of an album. There are times when I'd rather do that form of listening than just have the "greatest hits" or your favorites played.
  17. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

I will have another TT one day but for now I'm loving the digital thing and Yes the sound quality is not the same as a Album it can sound good and I do love all my albums. Most systems now are built around a digital source.
  18. hawkeyedwizard

hawkeyedwizard Active Member

While I totally agree, though I'm purely digital, for now, it is a thing of availability as well, more obscure artists with limited if any vinyl pressings. I have an artist, the flashbulb, who has done something I've never seen, he has individual images per track on his releases, it not the same as an album or cd with artwork, but it's new for me in the digital realm.
    In the end both have there merits, as the world progresses we simplify and streamline consumption and production.
    Inevitably we trade quality for convince and quantity.
    Like a child who thinks 10 pennies is better than 4 quarters.
    idaman19 likes this.
  19. idaman19

idaman19 Active Member

if you have it in your hands, it can't be taken away/altered. your favorite track won't just fall off your cd or album. that's what happened to me. i'm 95% digital. all through the ps-4/hdmi to preamp. i was Very happy with sony's Music Unlimited Premium service. Very high quality. at first i started loosing certain songs. just disappeared. then sony dropped MU, and replaced with Spotify. library gone. playlists gone. Quality gone. the negative of albums and cds' is that i don't like Every track on the disc. this is a deal breaker for me. the hassle. the paying for the whole disc when i only want 3 tracks. still,...... the first sentence carries alot of weight. many more pros and cons but i'll end it here.
  20. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Damn you man I would have taken the ten pennies. Now I have to rethink everything:)