Chinese Made Tube Equipment

Discussion in 'Compatible Equipment' started by Lewis Smith, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

The market is flooded with this stuff and i know myself i bought a Yaqin MC13 Amp and have been impressed with it but for the people that can't afford the high $$$ stuff it is a good thing i guess but i would like to know what other people are thinking? Am i the only one on this Forum that has Yaqin and i have been looking at Qinpu Also And Others as well !! I guess you can read all the reviews and not buy anything if you listen to everyone but i have been happy with Yaqin!
  2. Jumping in months after your post Lewis, I'm new here at Morrow, based in Shanghai. Well, Mike offers the Chinese Jolida line. The brands you mentioned (Jolida, Yaqin, Shengya, Qinpu, Cayin, Fountek, a few others) and others are just as you said; it unnerves people that a $500-$800 20-40/pwc Chinese made tube amp is a superb well crafted piece of equipment that in fact sounds as good side by side as a far more expensive famous brand amp. (Though it is interesting that aftermarket experts are offering some tweaks/upgrades to this genre of tube gear) Ditto for speakers and China. Look at Sonus Faber...their new Venere line is half the price of previous lines, still the same level of quality and final result with the same core drivers, crossovers and design, because they're made in China, so just sans the romantic dreamy ideal of their being "handmade in Italy". So its a matter of what you want to pay for in the end. Myself, I have my passionate eyes on a set of SF Liuto towers I can pick up at a high end audio store here in Shanghai for $3500. I just "want" them, period, as superb speakers AND crafted Italian furniture in my home. We know they're superb and unique and highly reviewed speakers but that doesn't mean they are the "best" which is sort of a meaningless idea in the world of audio equipment and sound. My own gear is Shengya brand, hybrid tube integrated amp and matching CD player, the OEM manufacturer for Vincent SV236 and CD-10 in Germany. I bought it here at 1/3 the price. Interesting global world we live in...Cheers, Mario
  3. jedinite24

jedinite24 Member

I've got a majority of made in China system and am very happy with it. Some of the gear did require modifications to get the most out of them. So I guess it would be made in China but modified in the US?? To me depending on the acquisition cost buying the Chinese Tube gear can be great value and get you very good sonic results. I won't say giant killer because IME when I heard other people's high end systems they did sound better than what I have.

An example of Chinese tube made stuff was my Jolida JD-502P from Maryland. I got it used for about $650 and then paid a competent tech to do mods. My tech loves the amp as I do and he was telling me to keep the amp. He felt it would take a recently made $3k CJ tube amp to beat it. I took his word for it.
  4. Lewis Smith

I've been very Happy with my Yaqin and after rolling the stock tubes it makes a difference and Very Impressed with the choice I made and looking at some other gear as well.
  5. Its the same with Mike's choice to represent Jolida for example, they are well known as a top choice offering very high quality equipment. And its very interesting that with tube amps you can change tubes to alter the sound dynamics, ya can't do that with an SS amp!
  6. Lewis Smith

What is the word on Qinpu amps in China and could you give us some thoughts on the equipment and the trends over there, It seems from what I see on the internet it's a lot of small tube amps and some amazing stuff!
  7. Lewis Smith

I really would like to have the Qinpu A-6000 MKII just to try it and see what it's like.
  8. Cayin, Jolida, Qinpu, Shengya, Fountek and a couple of others are amongst the highest reputation brands here domestically and abroad. Sometimes I read from modifiers that the designs have some flaws that need to be upgraded but others are saying they're great right out of the box. Hard to beat the performance/price point and have to be wary of foreign brands tripling the price even though it is in fact made in China so they are making huge profits, not good for the buyer... I love my front end, I'd have to spend a fortune for a relatively tiny improvement and I don't see the point of that. It's more about wanting something unique like the Sonus Faber Liutos I crave....
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  9. f
    forgot to include Yaqin
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  10. Lewis Smith

Thanks Mario, I have been very happy with Yaqin and will buy again and after things settle down around the house as far as projects go I want to get the Qinpu and see what happens. For less than $300 for a small tube amp it should be fun to play with. I have a group of friends here that we bring different equipment to one's house and listen and tonight I am taking the Legacy HD Monitor's over to a friends house so he can decide if he wants monitor speakers. We have no brick and mortar stores around here so all we can do is when someone wants to hear a piece of gear it gives us a chance to hear different things without the pressure of a salesman down your neck.Plus the wine is on him LOL! It's a select group of friends and we all respect our equipment and each others opinions so as a Friend I will let him use the HD's for a week or two and go from there and Mike I am not selling the HD's I'm just trying to give someone a Chance to hear Legacy Speakers for the 1st time and compared to his ML's ...
  11. Lewis Smith

This the Yaqin and my Room. 1427546781416-120572993.jpg
  12. Lewis Smith

For now I'm running the Zu Omen's and the HD's are going in the Master Bedroom in a few weeks.
  13. Meeting up with audiophile friends just for listening/comparing sessions is our version of a guy's night of poker...just damn fun. My mom and the MA2s and SP3s in her suitcase are arriving this Friday...I'm itching!! They'll be on the system while she's unpacking :)
    Bonz likes this.
  14. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

"Hi Mom! *hug & kiss* How was your trip? Can I haz my cables?!" :D

Lewis - your room always looks great, and that shelf you made is really cool, floating in space like that and the wires hidden. Thumbs up, man!
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Lewis Smith and Mario-Shanghai like this.
  15. Lewis Smith

Yea you pick your Mom up at the Airport and dig in her luggage before you put it in the Car LOL! And THANKS for the complement... A Smith.. I love my room and sometimes hate to leave it But we all have to work sometime :( And Behind the Drapes is a solid wall of Roxul with no Frames just attached to the wall with Screws and big Washers to hold in place... And No wires touch each other or cross paths... I like the KISS method...
  16. A. Smith

Wish I could do that with my place, but a sliding door is behind the L side, and a big window behind the R. Unless I got heavy drapes for both, about the only thing I can do is put something in the middle and on the side walls to about 3' out from the corners, and perhaps corner traps. I can't do much for the 1st reflection points on both side walls equally. Wires yeah, it's good to keep separated as much as you can.
  17. Lewis Smith

I wish you could see my room and listen to my system and just wake up in the morning and have a cup of coffee and sit around in your boxers LOL! and relax and no one to bother you and just listen to Music! So DAM peaceful as you shave and get ready for work :( Dammit man I've got be at work at 7 am! 1st thing I do in the morning is hit Pandora and hit the coffee button and go from there! As I listen to some Praful Radio on Pandora and wind down LOL!
  18. A. Smith

Yeah it'd be cool. I hit the coffee first thing, the stereo & PC is flipped on too, and I start with RP or classical on FM. I don't have to be at a job so RP is on most of the time unless I want to hear something on CD or YouTube, or a FM jazz or college station.

Boxers are overrated! Go commando! lol
  19. Ok guys we need to have a best quote for Mario's moms arrival contest! A. yours was perfection.

"Give me the suitcase now. You look great! Gotta go!"

Or to the airport luggage attendant, "Oh by the way, do you know if the lady who checked these bags is around?"

and "Excuse me, could you page Mrs. Cavolo and let her know that her daughter in law will arrange a taxi and that her son is already on his way back home with her bags, all he said was "Lady, my cables are here, I don't have time to explain!" :)
    A. Smith likes this.
  20. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

How about "why did you take so long to bring me my cables?" Something our middle child might say.