Chris Squire passes on RIP

Discussion in 'Rock' started by Bonz, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I really don't have much to say. Pretty devastating news for me. One of the most influential bass players in rock. Rest in peace Mr. Squire you will be greatly missed.
    Basil H and A. Smith like this.
  2. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

I was just going to post about this, Bonz.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-squire-yes-bassist-and-co-founder-dead-at-67-20150628

Heard about this last night and was very saddened, though I had heard of his fight with leukemia some months ago. As a prog drummer myself, he was one of the original prog artists that I really looked up to.

I grew up on Yes music in the 70's and they were one of my biggest inspirations to get into prog and alternative music. Yes' rhythm section of Chris and Bill Bruford always blew my mind. I'd stay up to late in the night listening to their first 4 or 5 albums many, many times.

Finally got to see them on tour in Nashville, August 1977 at the Municipal Auditorium. Weeks before the show, two buddies and myself took the morning off work so we could wait in the parking lot early to get the best tickets, and we were the first ones there at 6:30 a.m. before the window opened at 9 or 10. For a 16 year old kid into the rock scene, it was like going to see demigods. Well actually, that's what they were to us and pretty big ones at that. What a stage show they put on! Not ashamed to say I was walking on air for a couple of weeks after.

Of course I've seen them several times since that trippy show in '77. The last time was at the Pepsi Arena in Albany, NY on the 'Full Circle' tour 2002, the one for the Union album with the round, constantly revolving stage, with Bill & Alan both on drums, Tony & Rick on keys, Steve and Trevor guitars. They kicked all serious forms of ass and the sound was excellent. Chris, with some help from Jon, was the one mainly leading the whole shebang on stage.

I've blown more than a few perfectly decent woofers because of Chris Squire. As an audio & music geek, that's high praise indeed!

Enough cannot be said about Chris' influence on scores of other bassists, prog rock in general, and even rock music overall, since he wrote/co-wrote much of Yes' music. Certainly one of the giants.

I will miss this man. Like in the old days, today I'll be listening to Yes all day and onward, through the night...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Basil H and Bonz like this.
  3. A. Smith

Also have to say this, and maybe some of the other prog heads here like Bonz and Catcher will chime in:

Yes touring or recording without Chris Squire to me is just a Yes cover band. Yeah, maybe the guys need the money and/or maybe they're just bored. That's what it looks like to me. I understand that, but Yes should call it quits now. Chris Squire was the Yes sound, and Jon's vocals of course.

I was very disappointed and fairly shocked when Bill Bruford left after Close To The Edge. Bill is probably my fave drummer and I'd have loved to hear what he might have done with the material on Tales..., Relayer, GFTO, Drama, even Tormato (well let's forget that one except for one or two decent tracks like Onward). Those albums might have been a little or a lot different. Although the albums after CTTE didn't have Bill's sound and some of his trademark meters or time sigs, Alan has done a great job since.

When Rick left after Tales..., I wondered if Yes would still be any good, but Relayer turned out well.

When Steve left after Drama, the next two albums I could listen to a few tracks from but they were too pop, (well it was the goddamned '80s :p). You could still hear that it was Yes though, mainly from Chris' bass work and Jon's vocals.

My point is that Billy Sherwood is a very good bassist, but Yes without Squire is like Zeppelin without Bonham. It just isn't the same. And anyway, their output for the last several albums hasn't been great. I think they just ran out of really good ideas, (as John Lennon said, "There's only so many notes." ) and to be honest I've grown tired of Jon's too wordy vocals all over everything in recent years.

Hang it up boys and enjoy your retirement. You've certainly earned it.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Basil H likes this.
  4. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Sad to say I have to agree with you A. I really can't say that I hate the last couple of studio albums but I do feel that they have been flogging an almost dead horse. Unless Jon and Rick come back for one last studio blast. I can dream can't I :)
    Basil H likes this.
  5. A. Smith

Yep, and they should have passed the torch to the many other fine prog bands out there now and called it a career. The thing is, as a musician it's hard to decide just when that should be. Similar to Pink Floyd's last release, I really don't know what they were trying to do with that, maybe a coda to a long career. IMO it's not that good.

But "relevance". It's hard to say when your music is no longer relevant to the scene, because there are so many sub-genres now and niches to fit into.
  6. Christopher Hardy

Christopher Hardy New Member

Bonz and A. Smith - I have to agree with you both about the passing of Chris. As a budding bassist I went to see my (at the time) fav band (Black Sabbath...yea, I know) and this opening band just knocked me out! YES opened and I did a musical 360 degree turnaround. 11-8-1971 at Winterland I do believe. The whole band just amazed and I had never heard much less seen a bassist that was so melodic (and who could cut thru the mix). Through all the ups and downs of YES, I have always admired Chris's tenacity to stick with it. Must have seen them 16 or so times since that first night. Bought a Black/white check 1972 4001 Ricky and my bride gave me Moog Taurus Bass pedal for a wedding gift in 1980. Still have all three of them. RIP Chris and thank you.
  7. A. Smith

Hi Christopher! Yeah that Rick was at the root of the Yes sound, and ofc the way Squire set it up and played it. The 4001 and Gibson Thunderbird (and later, Jack Casady's Epiphone model) were always my fave basses.

OMG...the Taurus pedal!! I didn't think there were any left in working order. It's funny because I was listening to Genesis' Firth of Fifth the other night digging the low notes, and I was thinking about the Taurus and whether they used it on that album. It sure sounded like it though Selling England by the Pound may have pre-dated the pedal by just a year or so. (?)

Who knows, maybe Mike Rutherford had an early prototype from Moog, or some other contraption in those days.
  8. Christopher Hardy

A. Smith - Selling England has been in rotation for me since I first heard it back in the 70's. Not sure what pedals Mike was using then, the Taurus didn't come out until 75, post certain used on the Trick of the Tail album. That is classic Moog through out. Chris has some pedals made in Italy from what I have read, then got into the Moog when they became available, and when sampling became the norm just used a set of switches on his pedal board to trigger the notes. I get the itch to sell them sometimes because they are going for crazy $$ and I know I won't be playing music live anymore….but they are a pretty awesome sound. Hope you have a great long holiday weekend with lots of music, family and friends involved. Happy listening, Chris.
  9. Christopher Hardy

A. Smith - via wikipedia, so not 100% comfortable with the info but I seem to remember reading this same info long before the internet….''From an early date, Rutherford also played bass pedals both live and in the studio, often playing simultaneous twelve-string guitar and bass pedal parts in order to cover rhythm and bass parts at the same time. Initially using a Dewtron "Mister Bassman" bass pedal synthesiser, he had moved onto Moog Taurus bass pedals by the 1976 Trick of the Tail Tour. Frequently Rutherford's bass guitar, 12-string guitar, and bass pedal playing have featured in different sections of a single Genesis song, "Supper's Ready", "Firth of Fifth", and "The Cinema Show" being good examples of this. Sometimes Rutherford's bass pedals are used to set up a steady drone as the basis for an individual song (such as "Afterglow")''. I do remember the first large show in a large room with a real PA and the first note just rumbled the stage…a very intense feeling/sound. I do miss that now. Happy listening, Chris.
  10. A. Smith

Nice that you found the info on that, most of which I probably had stored away in memory at some point in my former life as a drummer. I've left behind a few brain cells since then, though I wouldn't trade those days for love or money...I think! o_O

LOL! :D

Anyway, yes you can hear the different sounds/instruments Mike used in some of those tracks, like the section before the coda in Firth of Fifth, which sounds like it was that Dewtron. Then of course the killer low end on tracks like Dance on a Volcano and the opening blast of Squonk, which probably was the Taurus, right? I don't really need a sub with these JBLs; they can easily shake the walls and dining room table on tracks like that, down to the high 20's Hz if it's there.

Back to Chris and Yes...if you haven't yet, check out And You and I on Keys to Ascension 2, especially the end section that'll give your woofers a decent workout and sounds great.
  11. Christopher Hardy

A. Smith- Agreed on And You and I, Chris Squire was a master of ''tension and release'' in music. A huge hole in my world of musicians I have learned from.