Digi4 breakin question....gonna be a looooong time? :-)

Discussion in 'My breakin questions, experience or advice' started by Gaz, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Gaz

Gaz New Member

Ello all from Scotland in the UK.

My DIGI4 digital XLR cable is on its way to me and I’m really looking forward to the improvements in my system!
    Regarding the famous Morrow burn-in required I have downloaded the paper Mike wrote on it, and read the section on digital cables.
    In this he says that with digital cables it’s better to use them as regular interconnects rather than connecting to a dac, as the digital signal is quite small and the cable will take longer to burn in that way.

Taking this on board, I have bought 2 XLR-RCA adapters so I can use the cable as described.
    The problem is, the paper suggests using the cable between a power and pre amp if possible, which I have, but none of them are XLR connected and I have a 300B SET tube power amp and would not want to leave it running overnight for obvious reasons.

What about running it from a line level source (such as a tuner, streamer doing web radio) into my Pre?
    Would the preamp need to be turned on for the burn in effect to take place…or would a signal flowing from the tuner down the cable be enough?
    My pre is on all the time anyway, but if its switched to another input apart from the Morrow Dig4 cable connected one, will burn in still take place if theres a signal coming from the tuner/streamer?

Any other good burn in strategies for teh Dig4 digital cable?

Thanks very much for any help.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Anything that gets a signal going through it will help. Not sure if you can hook it up to a cd player on random play, but that would work great.
  3. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

Anything you can do to run a signal through the Dig4 will work. I don't use XLR connectors just RCA and I have a small system in the shop just for breaking in cables. Good Luck and Enjoy the Morrow Cable:)