DIY speaker plinths

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by hawkeyedwizard, Jul 3, 2015.

1. hawkeyedwizard

hawkeyedwizard Active Member

So I've always noted a huge difference in sound from sitting on a couch to sitting in the floor.
    My speakers a front bottom port , I assume this being a factor in the fullness of the sound.
    I decided some plinths would be a great way to not only give me more stability but increase the overall height and give me that fullness I experienced, grounded in the lotus position, but comfortably perched upon my layers of insulated coils and soft dacron.
    I opted for something more financially reasonable.. Thinking if it was an amazing addition I'd spring in the future for some pretty polished marble or granite slabs.
    For now I opted for cheap and accessible.
    Home depot..
    At 42 lbs a piece 16x16x2 I stacked 2 of these using amazing goo in between for a bit of a flexible seal.
    Coated with spray adhesive I then applied a gray felt like fabric to give it some shadows and texture, tucked corners..
    Concrete drill bit to nylon threaded receptical and in goes the spikes.
    Trim it up and dam... Sounds great.. Full..Clear articulate presentation.
    20150703_135651.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    David C. Snyder, Bonz and Ernie Adams like this.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Very cool! I made some plinths out of a 12x12x2 inch solid maple block I bought at TJ Maxx. I put these on my Snell Type C's to replace the MDF plinths that we're going bad. I noticed a more solid bass. Yours look great Hawk.
    hawkeyedwizard likes this.
  3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Nice Hawk. Very nice!
  4. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Of course I am speaking of the antlered deer
    :)
  5. hawkeyedwizard

Powder blue deer are indigenous to my neck of the woods..
    Bonz likes this.
  6. hawkeyedwizard

20150825_131918.jpg So, after some modifications aka purchases. ..I've reached a new plateau in listening. I upgraded all 8 spikes..required some drilling larger holes on the speakers...eeek..all went well.
    I also modified the plinths, adding marble to the new spikes at the base of the plinth..wow! Tight in my chest bass...like ive never had...that tactile experience brought a huge stupid smile to my face. Listening seems to be raising my heart rate now..I hope this lasts.
    I also afforded myself a bit more flexibility with vertical front to back tilt...with the increased height the sound became more punchy, articulate and less distortion. View attachment 3443
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    idaman19 and Bonz like this.
  7. Weber

Weber Active Member

Looks great,those have to give a soild bass sound.And raising the height of the sound also.Great professional job.
  8. swamp shark

swamp shark Active Member

Amazing what a little tweaking can do, I use the same type pavers, a stack of four, but went with the brick color and I like the natural, earthy tone. They work great for me too. Tried spikes,and tilting, and them some Herbies big fat dots, but ended up with bare speaker bottom on the pavers, which sounds best to me, of course different speakers need different tweaking for best results. Glad yours are working well !
  9. Techsmart

Techsmart New Member

Did you use marble or granite? Found alot of those that have tried granite yielded less then desirable results. Was leaning towards maple but after your comments on the results I would love more info.
  10. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Hopefully Hawke will respond to you. I have used both, but since I wanted to attach my plinths tightly to the bottom of the speaker I ended up doing Maple. I also placed some Dynamat between the Maple block and the bottom of the speaker. I have been happy with the results.