Emotiva hifi

Discussion in 'CD players, transports and DAC's' started by vincent turner-jacobs, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hello fellow audiophiles. Looking at the forum I have come across a hifi supplier called emotive.
    Could you kind people who have experience of this brand post some comments of its performance.
    Many thanks
  2. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Ernie should have some input on their pieces. He has a cd player and amp from them and is very happy with their products from what I can tell.
  3. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

They have good equipment for the Budget Minded but i do not see them lasting for years like a Mcintosh or other pieces of gear and it's all in what you are looking for the Emotiva Brand has a loyal following and a 5 year warranty so that is a good thing and if you are not happy in 30 days you can send it back! I just ordered two XPA100 mono blocks and tried them and sent them Back. At low volume they didn't have the sound i wanted and my Speakers do not need a lot of power! if i had a large room and power hungry speakers they would have been Great! Just My 2 Cents !
  4. Hi Lewis, thanks for the reply. Looking at the kit it looks pretty good with good internal workings and separate power supplies. Like we know paying big money isn't always a sign of being the best.

My current kit which is over ten years old cost $5000. Even today three is nothing that can match it for the price. I have listened to plenty of new kit costing around the same price and none have beat it for overall sound quality.
    I did hear a Naim set up costing around around £6000 and the sound was very good, slightly different sound but very nice.
    It would be good to hear them. I have emailed Emotiva and enquired about a pre/power amp combo and the CD player and shipping to England and if they offer the 39 day return.
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  5. Lewis Smith

Just keep in mind the return shipping is on you so if something goes wrong you might have more money in it than you realize!
  6. Lewis Smith

Vincent just out curiosity what is the audio market like in England compared to the US ??
  7. The audio market over here is very good. We have an established hifi dealer here in Leicester called Cymbosis. It's owned by a guy called Mark Swain. He travels all over the world setting up and correcting Linn turntables (at the owners cost).
    He deals in high end hifi by Naim, Rega, Roksan and Linn. His main player in Naim kit. People gomad for Naim kit over here. It's very well established and as a very good loyal fan base.
    I often go in a demo kit costing well over the ten thousand pounds. He knows i cannot afford it but he knows i love hifi and respects it.
    On the lower end kit we Richer Sounds. They have stores all over the country and its often a base for the starter hi-fi enthusiast. It's where i started well over 20 years ago.
  8. Lewis Smith

Thanks! Great Info! My son is stationed in Japan and he said the Market over there is totally Different than in the USA! Don't know a lot about the overseas Market but it is always nice to hear what idea's and Equipment they Use! Most of your stuff is set up for 220v Correct?
  9. gimeesum

gimeesum Active Member

you might have been happy with the xpa1L 35 WATTS in class A, with your speakers would have been nice? just a thought..... and only 100 bucks more a piece.
  10. Lewis Smith

With The Zu's you don't need as much power for them to sound Great! and I am learning the hard way!
  11. Lewis Smith

I will know more after the show in Chicago and i see the Zu room and talk to Sean at Zu!
  12. Lewis Smith

I can jam out with 30 to 40 Watts better than anybody out there and enjoy the sound better and get better soundstage and only have a Modest system!
  13. gimeesum

gimeesum Active Member

hey lewis, just wondering if you did consider the class A/ AB monoblock? did you like it otherwise?
    I would love a Parasound or Macintosh but there way over priced:eek: I'm considering the Emotiva route .
  14. gimeesum

gimeesum Active Member

I like the Zu's but to build a 5 channel HT with them is difficult and costly, don't even know if they make center speakers ?
    and there so boxy ! tekton seems to be a good cost effective alternative.
  15. Lewis Smith

I did and i guess i am so use to the Tube sound that it is Hard to Break But i do like the Quickness of SS!! Sounds Crazy I Know!! I guess we will never be happy as stereophile said We Listen to mega power when we need it and sometimes we need the sound of Zu's!!!
  16. Lewis Smith

Check out Zu.com and Email Sean!
  17. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I would have to disagree with you on the Parasound's . They have an incredible number of pieces that are recommended components in the slew of audio rags. They compete with the best of the best at a fraction of the cost. They have been around for a very long time constantly putting out pieces that shot well beyond their price points. Resale prices also prove their worth. As always just my two cents.
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  18. Lewis Smith

Tekton seems to be a new Company and has some great Speakers but Zu Audio is not into Home Theater Sound!
  19. Lewis Smith

From what i read of the reviews the parasound is a Great Bargain!
  20. gimeesum

gimeesum Active Member

oh i agree ,they do seem to hold there resale value but the problem is they use dealers , and those days are long gone. people are looking
    for direct to consumer buying not paying middleman markups.