How to hook up a Sub

Discussion in 'Morrow Subwoofer Cables' started by Lewis Smith, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

OK guys be easy on me as I want a sub but i need to know the best way to hook it up as I'm old and don't understand! So be easy on me as I want to order a Sub.. And like I said I'm Old and like simple things like 2 speakers and so on. So give me some help PLEASE!
  2. Lewis Smith

Warner please chime in...
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. Lewis Smith

A Smith I need your help before I spend the $$$$
  4. hawkeyedwizard

hawkeyedwizard Active Member

Depends on your amp.. do you have a sub out rca? if you want closer integration without a crossover, use the speaker level terminal and add some morrow speaker cable to send the signal. I'm sure since they are from the same manufacturer integration will be easy..From what I've gathered..
  5. Lewis Smith

No sub out rca's just speaker wires and all the sub's I have looked at have rca inputs..
  6. hawkeyedwizard

hawkeyedwizard Active Member

most subs have speaker level binding posts on the back. another option is getting an external crossover and using it in between amp and sub. you'll be adding an extra element in the chain though, and being the audio enthusiast you are, I'm sure you don't want that.
  7. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

Sorry Lewis, I've been MIA here for a few days. Playing too much Heroes of the Storm and Path of Exile online lately. :eek: I help run guilds (teams) in those games for ranked play and it takes a lot of my time. I'm also helping with character movement and weapon balance of a new game that's coming out from Epic Games called Unreal Tournament 4, but since it's only in pre-alpha stage that'll be a year or two I'm sure.

Anyway...Hawkeye has it right. However, since you don't have RCA outs, I'd recommend looking at some of the REL models (you just knew I was gonna say that, right? ;) ). They connect out of your Speaker terminals which I think is much better, because then the sub is seeing the exact same signal from the amp as the speakers (not getting signal from the pre-amp) with no X-O in the way of the speakers. And it won't affect the amp's output or the impedance it sees, since the REL's have a 100kΩ input impedance with a very good internal amp and X-O and settings. There's no X-O in the way of your speakers, they play full-range and you 're just adding the lowest end to them. Once you get them positioned right and everything dialed in well, they sound pretty damned good.

REL has their own cable for this - the Bassline Blue -which is really good, or the Morrow cats could conjure up one for you too. It's easy to hook up: just spade terminated on one end that goes to your Speaker outs on the amp, the other end is a Speakon connector that goes to the sub. Then just position the sub and get the X-O frequency, polarity, and sub level adjusted on the REL and you're gtg!

I think Music Direct, Amazon, and others have the RELs. Check 'em out!
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. Lewis Smith

Thanks A, I have to stay within my budget and been looking at Wharfdale 10.MX $349. at MD as I don't need much of a Boost in the bedroom ;) and we don't watch a lot of movies in there and I wish i could afford a lot better and don't want to buy special cables just for a Sub. All the Subs I looked at had rca connects and I don't need that as I like Simple:D
  9. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

Ah ok, I thought it would be for your main rig. The least expensive one is the T-Zero, $499. I think. They come with a regular speaker-to-Speakon cable, you don't need to connect with RCAs.