IT'S HERE!!!!

Discussion in 'Got My New Gear!' started by Ernie Adams, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

It seems to get better and better. Pulled out some stuff I hadn't listened to in a while and was blown away. Heard things I hadn't heard before. Most of it is in the openness and clarity of details.
  2. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

Ernie you still enjoying the PL X150 ???
  3. Ernie Adams

Very much. Great amp.
  4. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

I've got Reno bookmarked and keep looking ;) but PL is way out of my budget for now!
    idaman19 likes this.
  5. Ernie Adams

That's why I did the X150. Many thing else was crazy expensive. Sold my Emo for 550. Got the Pass for 1800. A 1250 difference is a bit expensive, but got a 6 month same as cash, so I can make this work.
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  6. idaman19

idaman19 Active Member

Me Too. been checking out that site for a year. 6 months, same as cash.....Oh Nooo.....room treatments--stay focused.
  7. idaman19

idaman19 Active Member

Fantastic, Ernie ! PL is on my wish list.
  8. Ernie Adams

It also will make a great room heater this winter.:D:D:D
  9. Ken Davis

Ken Davis New Member

Excellent choice for a high performing amplifier on the used market. The Pass Labs X-150 IMO is defined to be an iconic audio classic along the with the Nelson Pass super-symmetrical topology, which is still a core design feature of their very fine SS amps today. I used to own the x-150, and later the x-150.5, which had a very slight difference in sound with a smoother top end.

This amp doesn't get very hot at all, and heat is not an issue IME. I've read reviews before where people said that their X-150's would get quite a bit hotter at higher volume levels. I never experienced this with either amp I owned, which makes sense since the Pass X-150it is biased in class A for the first 10 watts (or so, drawing from memory). After the first 10 watts, the bias switches over into class A/B operation...It's actually a fairly efficient amp that gives you a good taste of Class A at normal listening levels.

I really like this amp with a good quality balanced tube preamp in front of it. I used a BAT VK-51SE in front of it for a few years, which proved to be a superb combination. I've moved on to a different setup, but could live with this combination any day.
  10. Ernie Adams

I do love this amp, but to me it gets hot. Not too hot to leave your hand on it, but definitely hot. It does take about an hour to sound its best. It's really kind of interesting, because when it comes into its best sound it happens in about a 5 minute period. You can actually hear the improvement take place as you listen. I was very lucky to get a deal on this amp, because Pass gear is really out of my price range.
  11. Ernie Adams

Well guys. Just worked a deal with Reno HiFi on the trade of my trusty X150 in exchange for a used X250, with a warranty. All in all, got a good trade in value for my old X150 (like Mike). Got the new amp today and hooked it up.........OM....F....G......G!!!!! Effortless is the key word here. The music just flows. It was really good before and I really wondered what I would get doing this, but it is really amazing! This will most likely be the end of the line for me. I am now as high as I can ever afford to go.
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  12. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

Congrads Ernie! Enjoy Enjoy!!!
  13. Weber

Weber Active Member

That's a super great buy. No more amp buy for you.
  14. Ernie Adams

I am as high as I can go. It took several years and a lot of negotiating, but I now have a system that I am happy with.
    David C. Snyder and Lewis Smith like this.
  15. Belated congrats on the new amplifier. You're welcome to bring that over to my place anytime you like. :)

You're obviously very happy with your highly customized Snell loudspeakers, but it might interesting to have Mike send out a pair of Legacy Audio towers for you to try out for a month or two. They apparently work very well with Morrow cables, and your new X250 will control Bill's big and typically numerous woofers extremely well. I had a chance to listen to the Classic HD in LA last summer, and they were shockingly good...even compared to the big Whisper XDS.

There's plenty of time for that stuff later, though. For now, just kick back and enjoy that amazing system via the always inspiring process of re-exploring your music collection with a more refined lens.
  16. Ernie Adams

I have found a quality vintage speaker, when modded really well, can hold its own against some very high end speakers. There is a Dealer about an hour from me that has extreme high end stuff.(VAC, Focal Grande Utopias, Sopras,etc, along withTransrotor turntables. I was fortunate enough to hear a lot of it at an Audio Club meeting recently. I was very happy to notice that my old Snells did not seem to get blown away. Now of course I have new drivers, crossovers, and internal wiring, along with custom cabinets. But my total cost for all of that was a fraction of even the Focal Sopras.