Just installed the furutech gtx-d(r) 2 hours in.....

Discussion in 'Tweaks, Room Treatment & Setting Up' started by Audiolover718, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Weber

Weber Active Member

Ok guys,I've been talked into buying and testing a Furutech gtx-d rhodium outlet. It's been 4 hrs.sense I got in hooked up and going. I have a ps audio quintet that's plugged into it. In the quintet I have my tv,tv/dvr box,cdp,dac and 6 ps audio harvesters plugged into it. My amp is still plugged into the silver wattgate outlet.The 1st 10 mins the led 50" Samsung tv likes it nice. Colors have never been better. The sound quality is another thing. It had a hollow echo sound to it. After 4 hrs this effect has diminished to half of that effect. It's far from the wattgate. The wattgate blew me away with the sound quality and hasn't stopped. So onward I go. It's going to be a long 500 hrs or more.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

I'm still liking my Acme's you turned me on to.
  3. Weber

Weber Active Member

The acme outlet is a good outlet. The wattgate silver outlet is many levels above it. Not sure about the Furutech gtx-d rhodium outlet. I'm going in on this outlet with a open mind. Everyone that has bought the Furutech outlet say a super long burn in is need. The acme had a Rollercoaster ride big time. After 300 to 400 hrs they become nice. The wattgate silver outlet has a much smoother break in. It took about 300 to burn in. I have the acme running my shop system at work. It still has a soild sound. I'll keep the Furutech gtx-d rhodium outlet updated as I go with it.
  4. Weber

Weber Active Member

Are nearly 200 hrs of use its getting better. I can actually sit and listen to my system now. The 1st 100 hrs were nasty,at 150 hrs the balance started to come around. Now at 200 hrs. the sound is clean and detailed. It opens on one day then closes up the next. Hopefully at the half way mark it'll stay open more. It has never become forward or laided back sounding.Sound staging is tight and flat.More to come.
  5. Weber

Weber Active Member

Now that I'm over 650 hrs with the Furutech gtx-d rhodium outlet, it has qualities the wattgate silver outlet doesn't. It's has a more extended top end. Very detailed natural sound top to bottom. Well worth the money it cost. It's still getting better and bringing out more sounds than ever.
  6. Weber

Weber Active Member

After 650 hrs of use now. It has more detail and natural beauty than the wattgate silver outlet I was using. Furutech gtx-d rhodium outlet is one very nice upgrade to any system. All the hype it is getting is on target. Needs lots of burn in ! For you guys that lived through the burn in of your Morrow cables,this is one wild ride.
    David C. Snyder likes this.
  7. Francis

Francis Active Member

I like the Furutech gtx-d rhodium very much that I pull the trigger and get the NCF version to complete my duplex.
    The NCF version is still burning in....
  8. Glad to hear that you guys are liking what you're hearing with the Furutech outlets. However, $250/each is a little much for me to invest at the moment since I need three of them for my system. I may start with the Acme Audio Labs silver plated outlets. I'm a little concerned about oxidation (silver seems to tarnish rather rapidly), but they are about 1/10th of the price and will hopefully give me an idea of what kinds of improvements are possible with outlet upgrades.

http://www.acmeaudiolabs.com/products.htm
  9. Ernie Adams

I have 2 of them in my wall outlet, and another 2 in a custom made box. I really like what they did for the money spent.
  10. Cool...the three that I ordered have already shipped and should arrive in time for my birthday this coming Tuesday. I'll let you know what I think. :)
  11. The three Acme Audio outlets came in on-time, but I didn't get them installed until today. My outlet tester said that I wired everything correctly; nothing has caught fire since I plugged them in, so I guess they work. :-D

I'm not sure about the best way to "burn-in" electrical outlets. My Class-D monoblocks only draw ~10 watts each unless I'm playing something very loudly. My preamp and DAC are plugged into the third outlet and combined draw about 45 watts. I guess I could plug a space heater into each of them to speed things along...
  12. Ernie Adams

Give them time. I noticed an immediate improvement. It got better after a couple hundred hours. I doubt anything needs to be running on them since power is flowing to the outlet all the time. IMHO
  13. Um...OOOHHHH---MYYY---GOSHHH!

I really didn't think they would make much difference, but sometimes I like to add a little "audiophile jewelry" to my playback system. The difference is CRAZY! A dramatic increase in LF energy, punch, and apparent output level! Like...I'm going to have to rebuild my room correction filters to account for the difference in response.

I didn't pay much attention, but now I'm wondering if the previous outlets were even wired correctly. What in the world!
  14. Ernie Adams

EXACTLY!!!! That is what I said when I installed mine. And they need to burn in still.
  15. Okay...I feel really stupid now...and I have to take back at least half of my exclamation marks.

The extra output and bass were the result of me forgetting that I had temporarily disabled digital room correction to demo a new headphone amp with an SFAS friend the night before. Man, do I feel silly!

But there's still an obvious improvement after installing the outlets that anyone who's familiar with the sound in our Loft could identify. It's just not as insane and BOMBASTIC as I had previously described. LOL.

@Ernie Adams - thanks again for the recommendation. May be the best $90 I've spent on the system so far...at least until my new Morrow cables arrive later this week.
  16. Weber

Weber Active Member

Let's see how you like the acme outlets in 300 to 500 hrs. Buckle up for a Rollercoaster ride with it. After its burned in they turn out nice.
  17. Weber

Weber Active Member

I would hold off on any room treatment plane adjustmentso til they burn in.
  18. Weber

Weber Active Member

19. Weber

Weber Active Member

Well guys I now have over 1,000 hrs on the Furutech gtx-d rhodium outlet. It had some very rough patches and bumps through out the first 300 to 400 hrs. I don't think it fully burned in til 600+ hrs. This outlet has turned out to be more than I can write about. Amazing is just one way to call it.
  20. Weber

Weber Active Member

Last week I picked up a ps audio power plant premier in great working order. After a few days of use I decided to install a Furutech rhodium iec inputsocket in it. It matches there outlet. So far it has extended the same quality through the ppp unit. Amazing ps audio power plant premier ( ppp ) with the Furutech iec installed.