Morrow Audio Cables with Jolida amp and Focal speakers

Discussion in 'Compatible Equipment' started by JRSBat, Feb 2, 2014.

1. JRSBat

JRSBat Active Member

Jolida tube amp smoothness works well with Morrow Audio cable clarity and soundstage. The Focal speakers transmit that smooth clarity and soundstage beautifully - at least to my ears. A lot of people think Focals are too bright. They probably are when connected to many brands of solid state amps. The Jolida tube amp combined with Morrow Audio cabling seems to smooth out the Focals - keeping the good bits and stopping any harshness. By the way, Morrow Audio sells Jolida (Maryland) equipment.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Holiday may be one of the best values in tube equipment out there.
  3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I hope you mean Jolida:)
  4. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Yes.....DAMN SPELL CHECK ONTHE IPAD!!!
  5. jedinite24

jedinite24 Member

+1 from me here on this too. I have clarity and detail with no treble irritation. Soundstage is vast and bass is not boomy. I have a Jolida JD-502P amp and I have Morrow 1.1 XLRs going from my preamp to the Jolida and from the Jolida to my Ohm Walsh Short Signature Edition speakers I have Morrow SP-3 speaker wire.

In my HT system I have Morrow SP-2s feeding the front L and R channels of my B&W Matrix 8 series monitors. The amp is a solid state one a rebuilt Sumo Nine.

For me the Morrow Audio cables mate well with both tube and solid state gear.
  6. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. Even the entry level MA1 that I am using between my Marantz SA8004 and BEZ tube preamp give me a palpable level of sound reproduction that I feel is incredible at the price point.
  7. JRSBat

JRSBat Active Member

The good news is that my new Focals also sound fantastic with the Morrow Cables. I was afraid the higher end tweeter might be too sharp. The cables still keep a clean, smooth signal going to the new speakers. The highs still are not harsh. They simply have more air. The cables give such a huge soundstage - these speakers just disappear.
  8. JRSBat

JRSBat Active Member

I was talking with the Jolida staff this week. They suggested I use the EL-34 tubes with the Focal beryllium tweeters. They thought the KT-88s might be too sharp. Today I swapped out the KT-88s for the EL-34s. The EL-34s were smoother but they were missing the sparkle and punch of the KT-88s. I switched back right away.

The beryllium tweeters are very open but I think the Morrow cables tame them down enough that the KT-88s sound just right. I get a lot of clarity and dynamics but nothing is too sharp or shrill. Perfect match!
  9. jedinite24

jedinite24 Member

Hi JRSBat

What KT88s do you have in your Jolida now? My favorites to use in my Jolida with Morrow cabling are blue glass JJ KT88 tubes and old stock Sylvania 6550 or JAN GE 6550 power tubes.
  10. JRSBat

JRSBat Active Member

I am using Genalex Gold Lions from McShane Design. I really like them. Jim McShane did a great job testing/matching the tubes. He also stands behind his Genalex products with a special warranty. The KT-88s crispness, punch, openness and bigger bass are just great. When I experimented yesterday I used one of my favorite Rickie Lee Jones albums as the test record. One song has strong acoustic guitar sections that sounds mellow using the EL-34s. The same acoustic guitar sounds punchy, clear and very strong with the KT-88s. You can "see" the guitarist hitting the strings with big, heavy strokes.

Regarding the other tubes I bought some NOS Telefunken red tip long plate 12ax7 tubes (or however they should be named) from United Home Audio. Those tubes made such an incredible difference I am kicking myself for not buying more. They were very expensive but worth every penny. I think they made a bigger overall sound improvement than the KT-88s. I would never go back to the stock tubes. Jolida recommended I try some NOS RCA tubes if the Telefunkens ever die. Maybe I will try them down the road but my first choice would be looking for more NOS Telefunkens.

The remaining tubes are Mullard re-issue 12at7s.