Power vs quality

Discussion in 'Power amplifiers' started by Ernie Adams, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Thoughts on good powerful amps vs very high end lower power amps? Reasons behind your thinking?
  2. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

Ernie i don't understand this Question what are you calling Good powerful amps vs High end lower power amps give us some Brands and maybe we can Answer this???
  3. Ernie Adams

I own an Emotiva. Very good and powerful amp. Compared to, say, Audio Research or any other high end class A or something similar. I notice with my amp a very nice sound with lots of air and headroom. I have recently heard a Plinius amp. This is a very expensive amp, yet, while I think it is better than my amp, it does not seem to "blow it out of the water". Just wondering what others think about this type of comparison.
  4. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I feel synergy is more at play than a perticular price point or power.
  5. swamp shark

swamp shark Active Member

I agree, and with good quality gear, you would hear less difference in sound quality using different makes of amps. FAR bigger, is a change in speakers. You definitely need to match your speakers current needs to the proper amp, and a change in pre amp/processor will give a bigger change than switching amp's of similar power. And of course hooking it all together, Morrow cables bring a beautiful SYNERGY to let you "hear" your gear, as critical as speaker choice, IMHO. The biggest difference between the high priced amps and Emotiva is the Internet direct business model, where a distributor and dealer are taken out of the price, a 1000. dollar amp would be 4000. at a dealer using the brick and mortar model.
  6. Ernie Adams

I feel better....LOL.....I have a 3200 dollar amp that cost 800. You gotta love Emotiva......AND MORROW!
    Leo Rousseau likes this.
  7. Ed Morris

Ed Morris Member

In general, I have found that the best sounding amps are lower power (less than 50 watts). That said I have heard amps that made 50-75watts that were amazing. But the best is SET 300b 7 watts with big power supplies. The key to any good amp is power supply.
  8. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I always liked my set 845 mono blocks . They just didn't have the grip on the bottom or the ability to deal with the low impedance on the top to allow my Logan's to sing. They were magic with my Meadowlark Audio Kestrel though .
  9. Ed Morris

Ed Morris Member

SET amps (mostly) only work well with very sensitive speakers like horns and some dynamic designs like the Coincident line. Usually in the 95db or better efficiency m and 8 or 16 ohm impedance.

There are exceptions. The Kronzilla SET can be had with 100 watts and are supposed to be amazing even with electrostatics. The big Dehaviland puts out 50+ watts using a GM70 tube. I have heard them and they are really good.
    There is also a amp by NAT that uses a huge tube and makes 100 watts.
  10. Weber

Weber Active Member

Mark Levison had a stereo amp many yrs ago that put out 50 wpc that was super. But all his gear of yrs past cost tons of cash. Well worth it.
    Ed Morris likes this.
  11. Ernie Adams

The first system that blew me away was with Levinson and Magnepan.
    Ed Morris likes this.
  12. Ed Morris

Ed Morris Member

The Levinson 25 was maybe the best solid state amp ever with huge power supply and the ability to put out double down to 1000 watts at 1 ohm and all class A! The ultimate amp for the Apogees.
  13. Weber

Weber Active Member

He built a pair of mono block amps in the 90's that a guy was arc welding with as a demo to there construction. I hear the building of the gear is not as good now.
    Ed Morris likes this.
  14. Ed Morris

Ed Morris Member

The Levinson 25 was a class a 25watt amp. Yes that's 25 watts. Capable of putting out 1000 watts.
  15. Weber

Weber Active Member

Back in the day a guy I knew had a pair of 24 inch Hartley woofers run by a 50 watt Levison amp that would nearly shake the his house to the ground.
  16. Weber

Weber Active Member

I use to own Emotiva dc-1 dac and xpa-2 gen 1 amp. Now I have a Musical Fidelity A3cr amp and m1sdac digital preamp. A huge difference in sound quality. The amp puts out 210 wpc in class A at 4 ohms. This is running a pair of Dahlqusit DQ 20's. Also using a MF A3 cd player.
    Ernie Adams likes this.