RE-CAPPED MY SPEAKER CROSSOVERS

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ernie Adams, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Had a tech in Atlanta re-cap my old Snell E II speaker crossovers. I had modified the speakers with new custom cabinets made from northern birch to the exact dimensions as the original speakers. Also, I recently replaced the drivers with Audio Note drivers. The tech in Atlanta is known as the "crossover guru". He was very reluctant to change anything on a Snell crossover, but I finally convinced him to do it. He actually kept everything the same in the layout. He replaced the caps with higher quality caps and even bundled the caps like the originals to get the same specs.

Well I put everything back together, and H..Y S..T!!!! Bass was deeper (makes no sense). There is a very much improved clarity in the mid range. A bit nicer depth, and a more open sound stage. The wife even noticed, so I know it's good. Also, the improvements are not the same on all material. Some cd's are vastly improved, while others is very subtle. LP's so far also fall into the subtle range. The biggest improvement seems to be voices and for some reason trumpets. All in all.......I LOVE IT!
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  2. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

Awesome Ernie. Enjoy and I can't hear it in SC so Crank it Up.
  3. Ernie Adams

Listening to Pandora through my system....CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!?!?
  4. Weber

Weber Active Member

Hello Sir Ernie,it's been a long time sense posting here. When I recapped my Dalquist DQ 20's it gave them a big shot of fresh air. I used all 400v caps. The stock one's were 200v and the caps for the bass was only 50v. I keep the same valves just upped the voltage size. The difference in cap size was huge. The 200v caps are small compared to the 400v ones.
  5. Ernie Adams

The tech that did my speakers is a real guru on crossovers. He even builds custom tube amps from time to time. He was very reluctant to mess with a Peter Snell crossover. So he used the original layout and kept everything the same, except to,replace the caps with higher quality caps. Snell crossovers used bundled caps many times. My tech even bundled the caps just like the originals. Looking at the new crossovers, they look identical to the old ones, except the color of the caps and new glue on the bundles. The guy is a master.
  6. Weber

Weber Active Member

7. Weber

Weber Active Member

Erie here's here's a picture of how I done the caps in my 20's.
  8. Ernie Adams

Update on the sound. Well, I have now had a real good chance to listen to my re-capped speakers. They are much better. One album I had, that I had forgotten about, was the Beck album, Morning Phase. It won all kinds of awards, with one of them being how well it was recorded. Well, before the re-cap I thought the album didn't sound that great. It was closed in, muffled, etc. Lots of my other albums sounded fine, but this one just never did it for me. Now after the re-cap, the sound is full, and lush. Lots more detail, and the placement of Beck's voice is dead center and slightly forward. The drums are a bit back on off to one side a bit. Bass is better, but to me still a bit bloated. But at least now it is an album that I can enjoy. Before, it really wasn't worth listening to.
  9. Weber

Weber Active Member

Sure seems to me that that the capps in the vintage speakers get tired out after 20 + yrs. Recapping them with updated ones really puts new life in them.