Shielding

Discussion in 'Morrow Phono Cables' started by Ernie Adams, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

I have been told phono cables need shielding. I have also been told shielding hurts the sound. So....why shield? Can you not shield in some applications?
  2. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

The very low level signal from your cartridge is amplified to such a great extent that the slightest amount of outside noise will also be amplified to the same extent. Other sources are not subjected as such and need less if any shielding
  3. Catcher10

Catcher10 Active Member

Yes...you can't use regular interconnects for phono cables, the noise level will be too loud, the cables need to be shielded to block out the noise. Some people use video cables which are also shielded.
  4. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

What happens if you use phone cables as interconnects or is there no difference other than on a TT! Why not have shielded cables all the way????
  5. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

Just hooked my PH2's up to the CDP and I think I will listen for awhile!!!
  6. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

It will take awhile before the McIntosh gets that warm sound going but I will test this theory and see what happens! I put the PH2's on the shop system and broke them in but did not listen!!!
  7. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

I have been told that shielding does not give as high a quality sound as un shielded. However, most turntables need the shielding to prevent interference. Some do not. One way to check is to try a standard Morrow IC in your table. If you don't get any interference, you can use them......so I have been told.
  8. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

I running Ph2's from TT to phono preamp and MA1's to from there to Goldmund. Preamp but I'm talking about using PH's in the rest of your system!!! Mike please feel free to join this discussion!!!
  9. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

Just did the old a&b swap I like the ma1's better! I just answered my own question!!!
  10. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

Shielding is a must for low level applications, yet, the signal passing through a shield is VERY BAD for the sound.
    We use a special bypass feature in our design where the signal does not pass through the shield, yet the shield is still active.
  11. Ed Morris

Ed Morris Member

Phono cables require shielding. The tiny signal going from the cartridge is susceptible to RF and if any noise gets to the phono stage it is amplified higher than a line level.
  12. Ed Morris

Ed Morris Member

Since the signal from the cartridge is so tiny, it takes a long time to break in.
  13. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

If your phono cables are RCA terminated, you can break them in on a CD player, which has a much higher signal level, breaking in the cables faster and saving your cartridge wear.
    Ed Morris likes this.