Snake Oil?

Discussion in 'Morrow Cables, Other' started by Lewis Smith, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

Mike as you know I am a loyal Morrow cable guy as many of us have noticed a BIG difference in our systems with Morrow Cables, Why is it when we mention anything about cables on any forum we get our ass chewed as we are Idiots? I like your Cables and ENJOY And how much they improve the sound. You do realize people call us idiots for even saying that we can hear a difference right. As I use PH2'S on a Dual 1219 and enjoy it.
  2. Lewis Smith

I personally think Morrow Cables are the Bomb. But if I say anything about the difference in cables on any forum I'm the village idiot, why is that?
  3. Lewis Smith

It seems cable is a taboo subject?
  4. Lewis Smith

If I go on to audiokarma and say I just got the elite cables and Holy shucks I like the soundstage. I am going to be blasted with your a idiot for paying that much for cable when you can get so much more with this or that ?
  5. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

The "snake oil" comments come from people who are spouting without experience. It is the supreme of ignorance. It is like telling someone who has lived in a cave all their life that the sky is blue. They say that it is all snake oil without even walking outside to see that the sky is indeed blue.

There is another group who are simply not educated, but are teachable. There is hope for those people. These are the poeple who feel that the big box store $3.95 cables are fine, that a cable is a cable. Let them try the MA1's and they see the light. They become part of our camp and "get it" and "understand". They are teachable and wind up enjoying the profound impovements with proper cable design that rids cable distortions.

A third group is the group who simply have too much time on their hands, or who will refuse to admit that they are wrong even if it is proven to them. Some are only looking for ways to create arguments.

As I always say, the one who holds an "opinion" cannot hold water or argue with the person who has had "an experience". Experience trumps opinion every day and in every way. Those of us who have had the experience look at those with their opinions with pity.

I find it interesting that when we have offered the snake oil people a pair of cables with a 60 day return, to try them out, that they decline. That shows that they do not wish to know the truth, they only desire to stir up trouble. My advice... ignore them and enjoy the truth of your own experience.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    David C. Snyder, Bonz and Lewis Smith like this.
  6. Lewis Smith

Thanks Mike! I know I'm not insane. As well as all the Morrow Heads.
  7. Weber

Weber Active Member

Lots of snake oil in the world. People that can't hear a difference in cable's don't belong in this wonderful hobby. For the golden ears it's a treat or curse that we can hear the difference. The difference in let's say sp5 and sp6 speaker cables,is more than someone would think. Is it worth the difference in the cost ? It is if you want to hear more of what you have been missing. I call it having a new collection of music with the same collection I have.
  8. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

:D
    Just don't mention this on the Emotiva forum. Most of them think that old hangers twisted together sound just as good as high end cables. Don't even try to point out the difference to them. They say it is all the same. I HEAR DIFFERENT. IMHO:D:D:D
  9. Ernie Adams

I have found it best to state that people have had good luck with twisted coat hangers, and then mention I prefer a higher end cable, and "to my ears" there is a difference.
  10. Weber

Weber Active Member

Hey Erine, the twisted coat hangers were good for tv sets of yesterday.
  11. Ernie Adams

And according to a couple of forums, I have mentioned a quality cable will sound better, only to be ridiculed..........hence, going forward on those forums I tell them twisted coat hangers. If they can't hear a difference, then the coat hangers should be just fine.:D:rolleyes:
    David C. Snyder and Basil H like this.
  12. I've had the unfortunate experience of mentioning something about cables on-line as well. Mike's explanation is one of the best that I've seen.

Personally, I do struggle a little with the cost/benefit ratio of dollars spent on cables vs. other system enhancements like room treatments, power filtering, conditioning, or regeneration, higher quality source components or loudspeakers, better amplification, etc. Of course, everything is important...and everything matters in audio. But, for example, it's not easy to know if it's best to spend $1k on a monoblock power amp and $1.7k on a power cord for that amplifier vs. $2k for a nicer amplifier and $700 on the power cable. Under different circumstances, one option may be better than the other.

Practically speaking, upgrading cables is always easier than upgrading gear, and if the benefits are similar, there's much less hassle...especially with Mike's trade-up programs.

Before I started evaluating cables, I had imagined that I could effectively model the "sound" of different cables via subtle manipulation of fractions of a dB to my digital room correction target curve. What I've found is that "model" is not quite the right word. I can "simulate" the apparent changes in frequency response, presence, and tone; however, changes in micro and macro dynamics, soundstage height, width, and depth, are extremely difficult if not impossible to simulate digitally...at least with technology that I currently have at my disposal.

I suppose that some of this has to do with how the cables reject mechanical vibrations, RFI, and EMI. Although my system is almost completely silent (even with an ear pressed next to the tweeter), interference introduced into the system could impact other aspects of the sound.

I do wish I had a better scientific understanding or explanation for why, beyond a certain price/quality point, cables affect sound the way that they do. For now, I'm just having fun exploring the topic and learning as much as I can.
  13. Ernie Adams

One of the cheapest and biggest cost to improvement noted, was a recommendation by Weber on here. The Acme Silver outlets. I bought them and it was quote a nice jump for very few dollars. IMHO.
    David C. Snyder likes this.
  14. I noticed those in your signature...was going to ask. Are yours with special sauce or regular? I was thinking of putting three hospital grade outlets in (about $15 each from the local hardware store), but these are not that much more. Thanks for the suggestion.
  15. Ernie Adams

Special sauce. Really not sure what it is, or how these outlets are really special. All I know is they work.