SP4 to SP6 experience

Discussion in 'Morrow Speaker Cables and Jumpers' started by Francis, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards New Member

Ah yes, the wait ..........before and after you receive your cables!
  2. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

Some things seem to take forever. :p
  3. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards New Member

Mike emailed me Thursday, informing me that Adam was just finishing their assembly and they would be on the break-in device Friday. As with my last two sets of Morrow cables, I'll hook them up, have a good listen, and then plug my iPod into the auxiliary of my preamp, and let it run (on shuffle - repeat) at very low volume for another week or so.
    I even log the hours on my calendar. With my 4s, I thought they hit their full stride at about 300 hours, but really blossomed at 400. Oh ........the life of a helpless audioholic
    Ernie Adams likes this.
  4. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards New Member

In addition to producing a terrific product, Mike has been a top shelf individual to deal with; very accommodating and considerate. My SP-6s and MAP-3s arrived May 2. I replaced the SP-4s and Audioquest power cords, fired everything back up and gave them a day to "settle in." I received 5 Day break-in, so my first listen was very enjoyable. The improvement, as others have noted, was greater detail and separation, bigger and better bass and a wider and deeper soundstage. But, in my past two experiences with Morrow cables, I've found the 400 - 500 hour mark where they really open up; so, I put my iPod on shuffle, through the AUX jack, on low volume and ran it for another 8 days. My first two serious listening's were great, but the third time, on a Wednesday evening, it was like a switch had been pulled. EVERYTHING was more alive, more present, more detailed, more of that "in the room with you" experience that we all talk about.

One description you hear often is instruments are separated by their own spaces of air. I had not really related to that observation .........until now.
    I played the China Crisis (great 80s synth / pop group) album Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms the other night. It is a record I have owned for years and listened to 50 times at least. I sat there in my chair literally shaking my head; hearing little percussion and synthesizer nuances that just were not there before. And again, all very clearly separated from one another.

In my 40+ years of pursuing this wonderful hobby / passion, this is one of the most significant upgrades I have ever made, including replacing my Vandersteen 3A Signatures with Richard's Quatros. AND ........as timing would have it (and an incredibly understanding wife), a landmark birthday coming up is going to bring me two pair of MA-6 interconnects - one for DAC to preamp, the other for preamp to mono amps and a MAP-3 for my preamp! If the increase in anywhere close to what I have just realized, I may spend all weekends in Studio V (my living room). I get to pick that set up in person from Mike at T.H.E. Show Newport this coming Friday!!
  5. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Come on, you have to get the 7's! I was at the 6's for a while and finally went to the 7's. Well worth the trip.:D
  6. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards New Member

Ernie .......are you sure your last name isn't Morrow?
  7. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards New Member

OK Ernie ....... the time has come (or more specifically, I have been given a green light from the Commissioner of House Ways & Means) to upgrade my MA6 speaker cables. Are you still as enamored with your MA7's? I'm considering jumping up to the Elites ........... seems like going from 96 wires a side to 192 and separate enclosures for the positive and negative on each channel ......... But, for that kind of money, I could upgrade my cartridge, maybe get into a Lyra? My move from 4's to 6's was a huge improvement.
  8. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Steve
    When I went from the 6's to the 7's, the improvement was marginal. It was there, but nothing like going from the 4's to the 6's. IMHO, you get the most noticeable improvements going 2 levels up or more. If you can swing the elite's, go for it. If I were going to do something like this, I would find my old SP4's and see if Mike would do the 50% trade in. Even see if he has some used ones and would work with you on a trade. I know he says he won't do it, but I figure no harm in asking. Let me know how it turns out.