The necessity of the 400-500 break-in

Discussion in 'My breakin questions, experience or advice' started by Philippe Torres, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Philippe Torres

Philippe Torres New Member

Hello to all, my name is Philippe and some months ago, I was the happy winner of a Morrow Audio cable give away contest. Fine !

I received the MA-1 cables shortly after and was surprised by the ample recitation (on a 3 pages leaflet enclosed in the parcel) of the virtues of an -at least- 400 hours of break-in. As I wanted to get the best out of those cables, I plugged a second cd player on my amplifier and made it play various cds for one month, as follows : mostly remasters in 24/96 to make the cable break with high bandwidth requirements for the first week, then some particularly "dynamic music" (a consensual expression to mean "heavy metal") for the next 3 weeks.

And indeed, the "something is missing" sound of the cables right out of the box evolved, and week after week, it was like the missing pieces of the sonic puzzle were added randomly, creating at times disturbing listening experiences that never lasted more than 10 minutes. After 3 weeks of break-in, no more fancy behaviour from the cables and more moments of pure magic, as this is the only way to describe the sound that you get for the asking price of those cables.

I have tried interconnect cables in the $100-300 per meter range from about 8 different brands (well known and more obscure ones) and none of them sounded as good "overall" : some of them were even on one or some criterias, but none of them had the neutral and detailed sound of the MA-1 on the whole frequency range. I think that the keyword here is "balance", as everything is in the right place at the right moment, without any noticeable coloration or sonic signature, as revealed by my extremely unforgiveable Accuphase E-305 . And once again, this is the first time that I experience this kind of high end sound from a cable under $300.

So I would like to congratulate you guys at Morrow Audio for your great job, and to insist on the necessity of a serious break-in, because you will be rewarded with an highly enjoyable sound.

All the best

Philippe
    Morrow Audio likes this.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fold. I started with MA1's and now have 6's. If you think the MA1's sound good............OH ARE YOU IN FOR A SURPRISE, when you go up a few levels.
  3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Philippe the MA 1's are incredible cables. I have been using them for about six months and I am continuously satisfied by the way they allow the truer sound to come through. I feel an upgrade in associated equipment would be necessary to fully appreciate an upgrade to another level of Morrow cables. Just my two cents. Others have different opinions I am sure.
    Lewis Smith likes this.
  4. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Well-Known Member

Bonz You are correct I am upgrading to the MA5's but i still like the Ma1's and will keep them! let's face it they are already broken in and sound fantastic and the most realistic IC's out there for the price!
  5. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

Have do disagree.. We have customers with entry level systems who have heard marked improvements when moving up the Morrow line. Most equipment is able to reveal great resolution. The cables are the majority of the problem in ones system.
  6. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

I would recommend taking advantage of our 100% trade up sale. Even though you won the MA1's, we will give you a $49.95 trade up credit.
  7. Lewis Smith

The new trade up program at MA is a great way to get the cables that you have long considered and Me just having the Ma1's and the Sp1's has made a fantastic Upgrade in my system!! I have listened to the same Music with other cables and turned around and swapped cables and played the same music and was Blown away with the sound improvement with MA cables! that is why i'm upgrading to the 5 series and as my budget allows i might even go Higher one day!!!
  8. Francis

Francis Active Member

Here's one example:
    My system is a small desktop speaker with built- in amp (Audioengine A2 for$179). I do not own a dedicated amp of any kind yet. I have experience improvement in each of my upgrade with MA cables.
    My path goes like this MA1->MA4, SP1->Sp3->Sp4->SP6.
    Whenever I think I have the best out of your system, a MA upgrade keeps bring me to the next level. That's the magic
    When I think I am done for the upgrade, the MA promotions tempted me to go further. That's addiction!

And I just placed an order for another 2 upgrades today... MA4->MA6 and DIG2 ->DIG4.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  9. Catcher10

Catcher10 Active Member

I agree.....I use MA1.1 from my Teac R2R deck and there is a big difference from all the other cables I have used with that tape deck. I have been thinking of moving up to help take advantage of the excellent analog sound from that tape deck.....Cables make all the difference with any gear.
  10. Ernie Adams

There has not been a single Morrow cable that did not improve my systems sound. In fact, the higher up I went in the line, the better the sound. The Morrow cables just bring out the best your equipment is capable of doing. Even a lower quality piece of equipment sounds better with a higher quality Morrow cable.
  11. Weber

Weber Active Member

Morrow cables cost less than amps,and so on.The morrow line 1's are super,but 2's are much better.The 4 line is my next step.
    Morrow Audio likes this.
  12. Ernie Adams

That will be just before you go to 6's.........I know, it happened to me.
    Morrow Audio likes this.
  13. Lewis Smith

I haven't broke in a Morrow cable in along time until I got this MA2 Pod cable and I must like to punish myself LOL! But I have had so much fun with this silly thing called break in and it's funny how right in the middle of a song the sound changes and then changes again and then sounds Great! If people want to call me crazy then hell maybe I am. It's like when I got my 1st set of Morrows and wondered what the hell have I done and then it's like Holy Cow! Yes !!
    Basil H and Morrow Audio like this.