The New Design

Discussion in 'Morrow Cables, Other' started by Steve Edwards, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards Member

Greetings Audioholics .......... well here we are; a completely new design, including materials, for Morrow cables. Just wondering what everyone is thinking - feeling. If you've had what you have for more than 60 days, you need to buy them again to get the new design. I guess - just when I felt I'd reached the top of the mountain, I discover a much higher mountain off in the distance - is what I'm feeling. Play on
  2. Kevin D

Kevin D New Member

-----------------------------------

Steve, I read your post with what shall be diplomatically referred to as a *wry smile*. When I first heard of the new design a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't too bothered, even making related enquiries with a view to purchasing some of the re-designed cables. However, as the days have passed, I've also been "feeling". I have two sets of MA cables purchased less than a year ago and, to be honest, the appearance of cables supposedly so much better (based on reviews adopted by MA) makes that "feeling" less than positive.

Having given a lot of thought to the situation and with that "feeling" in mind, I've stopped looking to make the move to the new design of MA cables and have now ordered a non-MA OCC cable, not silver coated, with cold-welded soldered terminations. It's got terrific reviews and the supplier has also thrown in 96 hours of break-in for no extra charge. It will be very interesting to compare the merits of the (cheaper) cable to the old-design MA4 interconnects I purchased in Oct 2017 (price difference exceeds £200 (GBP), taking into account discounts / cost of break-in / customs fees / P & P etc).

Now, if it turns out the cheaper cable is notably inferior to the old-design MA4s, fair enough - lesson learned and I will post again, eating a suitable portion of humble pie. Only time will tell.

NB: I'm well aware that cold text on forums can come across differently to a face-to-face conversation and it is in the spirit of the latter I have posted.

Edit: typo (see strike-through)
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  3. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Have a set of the SP7's coming in the new design, after working the trade with Mike on a set of SP4's that I have. I am expecting amazing things, since I am going up 3 levels on this cable and it is the new design. So far, I have never been disappointed. Will let you know once I get them and have listened.
  4. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards Member

Eagerly await your follow up. I have no doubt that you will experience amazing things. On my last speaker cable upgrade (old design), I went from SP6's to Elites ...... that was back in March and I'm still awestruck playing some LP's I haven't heard in a while; nuances in those grooves I never knew where there. BUT, I am not in a position to "rebuy" the Elites.
    For the time being, I'm considering trading in my MA6s - preamp to amps and cd to preamp to the new design; just don't know if the new ones are $1K better.
  5. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards Member

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your candor. No "wry" attitude taken here, but you are right; cold text can be easily misconstrued.

I'm on my third set of MA interconnects and second set of speaker cables. Each upgrade brought marked improvement, and I don't doubt that the new design is better. I just "struggle" with having to re-buy what I already have to obtain the new design. But, in defense of MA, golf club manufacturers, as well as many other industries, "upgrade" their products annually!

I hope you are pleased with your new purchase; please do come back and let us know.

Play on
  6. Ernie Adams

The trade in deal on these is pretty good. Check it out.
  7. Kevin D

Kevin D New Member

Hi Steve. Much as I'm sure it would provide for entertaining debate, there is a forum rule limiting what can or cannot be posted about other brands of cables. Insofar as is relevant: "Posters can mention other brands, or share what they have, but not in a recommendation tone or suggestion." With that in mind, for info only, I am trialling Atlas cables (Element Integra and Equator Integra OCC respectively). Nothing in the rest of this post should be seen as in any way indicative of the quality of the Atlas cables - one way or the other.

Despite looking elsewhere, I haven't completely ruled out the possibility of making another purchase from MA. However, instead of looking at replacing the 3 existing sets of MA interconnect cables (MA1 / MA4 / MA2-POD - all "old" design), I may just go for one set, trading in the MA1s. Realistically, the only move that makes sense in that context is to move to the new design MA7s. I don't see any point in exchanging the old-design MA4s for the new design MA4s: the sensible path would be again to the new MA7s. However, I definitely can't justify 2 sets of MA7s so, it's the MA1s to MA7s or nothing. The "Elite" and "Anniversary" cables aren't an option for me.

In truth, the only reason I'm even considering the MA7s is the simple but well-worn conundrum for music listeners and hi-fi owners: "This is probably the only time I will be in a position to get this particular item" + "If I don't get it, I will always wonder 'what if?'" But, no decision has been made - yet. Spending hundreds of dollars on cables isn't something to be done lightly. :) One thing is for sure; if I make the purchase, it will be with the full 10 day extended break-in. I've had the no-break-in "journey" 3 times and, like most repeated journeys, the novelty has worn somewhat thin... A couple of other thoughts I have already had: I figure if MA is selling cables at this level, it wouldn't be in their interests to use terminations that could compromise the performance of the cables. In turn, it's logical to assume the standard terminations are more than up to the job and the options of copper or silver termination options can be safely discounted (despite having the silvers with the old MA4s).

Any (reasonable!) observations / suggestions about my thought process(es) are welcome.
  8. Steve Edwards

Steve Edwards Member

Hello Ernie,

Oh yes, the trade in is a generous discount, but it would still run me North of $1K.

On a different note, (I checked the rules before asking), I just noticed you're running a SoundSmith Aida cartridge on your Music Hall 9.1 table and would like to know your thoughts on it. From what I've read and interviews I've seen, I have a lot of respect for Peter. In the not-to-distant future, I will be looking to replace my Sumiko; would like to try his The Voice, but it's out of my range. What did your Aida replace? ....... big improvement?

Play on
  9. Ernie Adams

Steve:
    The Aida replaced an Ortofon 2M Black. It is better than the Black, but not by leaps and bounds. I get a more open sound stage with the Aida. Bass is a bit more controlled, but not a lot. I got a good deal on the Aida, so it was worth the chance. If I had to pay full price for one, I would say maybe not. For 1200-1500, OK. The real issue at this level is things don't go up substantially like they did on earlier upgrades. Now it is marginal. The other thing is that when you get to this level, everything else in the system comes into play. Bad recordings are BAD. Good recordings are GREAT. Before everything sounded nice. Also, on my table the anti skate had to be redone by a tech I know. He's a guru on things and sets up very high end stuff at Audio shows. On my table he had to reduce the weight from 3.5 grams to 2.5 grams. Finally, make sure your arm is compatable with the compliance of any cartridge you are considering. All of this is or course IMHO. I wish you all the best!
    Ernie
  10. Ernie Adams

My biggest issue with the Morrow terminations is their banana clips. I wish they would use a compression clip instead of what they currently use. I constantly have an issue with my speaker cables coming unhooked. Very frustrating. Almost at the point of sending them off to a person I know that can put new terminations on them. The spade connectors are great. It's just the banana clips that are horrible. IMHO.
  11. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

We don't use the compression types of bananas because they are not as good sounding and have more individual parts in their construction that the signal has to pass through. Our bananas can be widened easily with a screwdriver for a good and tight fit.
  12. Ernie Adams

I have done that, but they just go back to a smaller diameter in a little while. The widening is not permanent. IMHO, this is the weakest part of your cables and I wish there were something that would keep my banana clips inserted. Other than that, perfection.
  13. Weber

Weber Active Member

Good day fellow Morrow heads. How's it going Sir Ernie. I'm also wondering how going from silver plated to plain copper can do much for high end sparkle and clear clean sound quality through the sound spectrum. I also have made my way to the ma6 and sp7 cables a couple of years back. I'm also using a dig4 cable for cd player to dac.
  14. Ernie Adams

Just got the new design 7's today. Hooked up and listening now. One thing I had recently gotten a problem with was a high end sparkle that was just a tad to bright. I recently had my Snell Type C crossovers re-done. On a Marantz 2275 I have they are wonderful. However, on my Pass Labs X250 and Audible Illusions Modulus 3B upstairs, they seemed a bit bright on some material. Not all, but some.
    Initial thoughts on the new design. Right now I am less than 30 minutes in, but it seems the brightness has been tamed. Time will tell. I did get a full 10 day break in, so I am not expecting a large break in time. I will follow up as time progresses.
    All the best:
    Ernie
  15. Weber

Weber Active Member

Ernie its probably the 10 day cooking of them. To much cooking can give new cables a brittleness or brightness. Itll pass in 25 to 50 hours. I have a Hagerman power cord and a speaker/interconnect cable cookers. These are some of the best tools for a audiophile. I went on a 2 week vacation after I started to cook my sp7 cables. I forgot to turn it off. I like to use the cookers once a year for 24 yrs. It cleans them up and refreshes them. I didn't believe it till I got them. Keep us informed of your progress. Have great day Sir Ernie.
  16. Kevin D

Kevin D New Member

24yrs? Now, that's what I call burn-in... :)
  17. Weber

Weber Active Member

A smart phone attack. 24 hours. Sorry guys.
  18. Weber

Weber Active Member

Hello Ernie, we are hanging on by the our finger tips. I know you will give us a get review on the new design.
  19. Ernie Adams

So far, so good. I have listened about 4-5 hours so far. Last night I had them running with a CD I play a lot. Now understand my wife does not know some of the things I do.(like buying a new cable). She heard the CD and asked what I had done. That’s a good sign. I asked her why and she said it sounded more spacious and deeper. That is what I think I have been hearing. To me at this point the bass is improved, and I am getting more depth on some material. The harshness I was getting on my recapped Speakers is now gone on most material. I am now convinced that my speakers are now more sensitive to recordings and cables. Since the new design is using copper instead of silver plated copper, I believe the sound is a bit more warm. For these speakers, that’s a very big plus. All in all, very pleased. I do believe it will be at least a month before I get full settle in.
  20. Weber

Weber Active Member

Good to know,as the warm sounding goes there are many's ways to describe it. Warm sounding to me means the top end has a roll off to it. The mids are smooth with no harshness and bottom end that doesn't shake the room. Is this what you mean by a warm sound you have. Thanks for your input Ernie.