The Ultimate System Would Be?

Discussion in 'My System' started by john a camacho, Feb 10, 2014.

1. If money was no object, my system would be?
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Have never looked, since I could not afford it. One thing is Wilson speakers would be in the mix.
  3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

MBL 101 X-treme speakers
    Bob Carver silver Seven 700 tube mono blocks
    D'Agostino Master Audio Systems momentum preamp
    Audio Research Reference Phono 10 phono stage
    DCS Vivaldi full digital system
    Walker black Diamond mk.v turntable
    Clearaudio Goldfinger statement cartridge
    Critical Mass Systems Maxxum equipment rack
    Silver Circle Audio power conditioner
    Morrow Audio Elite Grand Reference interconnects
    Morrow Audio PH6 Grand reference phono interconnects
    Morrow Audio Elite Reference Speaker cables
    Morrow Audio Elite Reference power cords
  4. gimeesum

gimeesum Active Member

Krell Evolution 707 processor
    Krell 7200 power amp
    Avantgarde trio speakers
    Denon dcd a100 sacd player
    Clear audio ultimate reference turntable
    Morrow ph- 6 grand reference phono cables
    Morrow Audio Elite interconnects
    Morrow Audio Elite power cords
    Morrow Audio Elite speaker cables
  5. I wouldn't mind a top of the range Naim system. I heard one that cost £55-000 and it was excellent. Then again at that price you would expect it to be.
    I listened to Tori Amos "Hey Jupitar" and it was like she was there in person. The piano and voice just blew me away.
    If i won the Euro millions this is what i would purchase.
  6. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

My dream system would be a pair of Accuphase M6000 monos and the C3800 preamp with all option cards complete. For source I would like to have the Marantz KI Pearl SACD with a dedicated notebook and off course all Morrow Elite cables. Dream onman!!!!!!!!!
  7. Rtan4mus

Rtan4mus Member

Ahhhhhh, forgot the speakers, would like to have the Harbeth M40s
  8. idaman19

idaman19 Active Member

Check out Funk Audio/subwoofers. they have a new (to me) web site..........i had no idea...
  9. Weber

Weber Active Member

A set of Nola speakers. $100,000 for a set.
  10. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

Mike's Setup ;)
  11. A. Smith

A. Smith Well-Known Member

First I'd have a room built in the Golden Ratio (2.6 x 1.6 x 1.0) specifically for audio with the rear wall height at about 12.72 and rear width at 20 in the ratio (a Golden trapagon shape), with proper floor and wall materials, room treatments from Auralex, RoomTunes, or GIK, etc. No point in a cost-no-object system playing in a bad room.

The problem with "cost-no-object" systems is with unlimited cash, you can choose anything and there's no one single "best" of any component - there are several. This isn't the most expensive, but just one of several pricey rigs I can dream up that I'd probably like and should work well together:

• Amps: SS - Pass Xs 300 (lows); Xs 150 (highs), per channel...or...Tube - Audio Research Reference 750 and Ref. 250, per channel.
    • Pre-amp: Audio Research Reference 10...or...Tidal Audio Preos (depends on SS or tube power amps).
    • Analog*: Stereo: Well-Tempered DV 500 (Amadeus) table/Dynavector DV 507 Mk II arm, Dynavector DRT XV-1t cart for rock; Well Tempered Versalex w. Symmetrex arm & Van den Hul Colibri XC-HO version for jazz/XG version for classical. Mono: VPI HR-X, w. dual JMW 12.7 tonearms, Ortofon Cadenza Mono (just for the Beatles new mono box set!), Ikeda-9mono for other mono records.

*This analog set-up is TOTALLY fair, since I listen to a lot of different stuff. So there! :D Of course in my ideal Golden trapagon room, I'd have a separate area walled-off near the listening position for the three TT rigs, maybe on Solid Tech Racks of Silence/Feet of Silence.

• Phono Head-Amps: well, it's complicated, but I'd probably start with the ASR Basis Exclusive.
    • Digital: Berkeley Audio Designs Alpha 2 DAC, various input sources from say CEC, Wadia, Naim.
    • Speakers: Tidal Audio Sunray T1 system; or JBL Everest DD67000 w. REL Gibraltar G-1 subs (at least two G-1's per channel).
    • Cable: Morrow Elite; or XLO The Limited (if I could still find it) - probably some combo of both.
    • EQ: I'd most likely have some form of EQ, since even with a great room and gear there can still be preference issues and how various music was recorded. Not sure if it'd be analog Klark Teknik, some good old Soundcraftsmen (yes I'd use them in a rig like this, since they're quiet and well designed, but might do some updates/mods), or one of the better new digital EQ's out now.

That was fun! :)
    Dixie Audio God likes this.
  12. Lewis Smith

Lewis Smith Guest

That was fun now I need A Smoke after reading that!We can only dream!
  13. A. Smith

Yeah Lewis! And I'd hire a maid to clean every Thursday, then on Friday I could yell out:

"WHO TOUCHED MY SPEAKERS??!!" :mad::mad::mad:

:D
  14. idaman19

idaman19 Active Member

21 inch subs, 18 inch, 15 inch. custom cabinets, amplifiers. some nice stuff.
  15. A. Smith

I just remembered one of my all-time fave amps - the H/K Citation XX. I heard it in 1981 when a dealer still had one, and several times in must have been 1992-93 on an audio friend's rig.

The blurb is: Design overseen by Matti Otala in 1978 and sold in '80, only about 100 were made. It was considered very expensive when it came out, and some say they've seen them going for $2000. to $30k, but a good price today if you can find one is around $6k.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/harman_kardon-Citation_XX.html

I've had a bunch of big name amps but the XX would be one of my desert island dream units. Some people say it's the best sounding amp they've ever heard.

Found pix from some JBL cats (of course!) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    gimeesum likes this.
  16. Dixie Audio God

Dixie Audio God New Member

It's nice to see someone addressing the importance of the listening/and/ set-up. NOTHING is to be placed between the speakers, 2 feet to either side of said speakers, and NOTHING in the space constituting of the triangle between the speakers and the listening position.