Thoughts or Experience w/Oppo BDP-105

Discussion in 'CD players, transports and DAC's' started by Rich Seitz, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

I'm looking to upgrade my modest and well liked Adcom GCD-750 It's served me well for many years since new over 13 years ago, and still going strong... Fit my budget then and still want to spend about the same on something new. I hear good things about the Oppo. Don't really need all the Bluray stuff but the audio end seems really good for the price. Around 1100.00. Any thoughts on this and maybe a stand alone CD player as good for around the same price. Cheers!
  2. Danno

Danno Member

I have wondered about the various Oppo players myself. I am familiar with the Adcom player, and actually almost bought one. Wound up with a Yamaha CDX-1050 at the time. Great player. 22 lbs of fantastic build quality. Compared to current players, I would say these older players are really not in the same league anymore. Let's say, you better have tubes and/or soft dome tweeters. I should pull my Yamaha out of the closet and see if it even plays.
    Rich Seitz likes this.
  3. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

If you are only needing audio for your CD player than the Emotiva ERC-3 player is a real bargain. People on the Emotiva forums have said it beats the Oppo 95 and 105 in the audio. That is of course just opinion, and you know what they say. I do own the ERC-3 and to me it is the finest CD player I have ever owned.
    Rich Seitz likes this.
  4. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

My Father in Law has an Emotiva 5 channel Amp. They seem to be very well made for their prices. I'm might want to start dabbling in SACD as well.. Not available on the ERC-3, but I'm not that worried about not having SACD. There's only a very small number of titles that I would want at this point.
    I only wish there was a way to hear both the Oppo and Emotiva before deciding.
  5. Ernie Adams

You may want to check the Emotiva forums out. There are a couple of people on there that have done a direct comparison.
    Rich Seitz likes this.
  6. Lolligagger

Lolligagger Member

I cannot speak directly about the OPPO BDP 105 as I have not had the chance to hear one in action. But I have owned a couple of OPPO players. The one prior to that which I now use was the OPPO BDP 83 SE which I later upgraded to the NE version (upgrade by Nuforce). It was a very fine player. Better at two channel rather than at multi-channel since the Nuforce upgrade of this player concerned itself only with 2 channel.

The one I currently use is the Nuforce upgraded OPPO BDP 93 NXE. It is an incredible disc player. In this one, the Nuforce upgrade affects the SQ across the board... both two channel and multi-channel.

There is a very good review of this player on 6MOONS and another on AVGuide.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce16/1.html
    http://www.avguide.com/review/oppos-enhanced-nuforce-bdp-93-ne-nxe-blu-ray-universal-players-tpv-106

I suggest you read them before making a decision. Srajan Ebaen, when comparing the Nuforce/OPPO BDP 93 NXE to his APL NWO-M (which costs upwards of $20,000) called it a shocker saying that any advantage that the NWO-M might have is unbelievably minor.

I use it primarily for multi-channel 5.0 playback... both SACD and Bluray (some DVD-A, but not much). Bluray beats them all. Especially for large scale orchestral music. But not all Bluray is equal (as is true of in all formats) so you need to know who does it right (2L is one, for example).

Nuforce did two different upgrade versions of the 93... the NE and the NXE. I chose the NXE because it was said by several reviewers to outperform even the BDP 95 with respect to multi-channel reproduction (but not for 2 channel), and multi-channel is what I am most interested in. (For two channel I listen to digital files using a MacMini as a server).

Here is a quote from The Absolute Sound:
    “In my listening tests the NXE board performed on a sonic par with the BDP-95, but not significantly better. In terms of ergonomic flexibility the BDP-95 certainly offers more options, with both balanced and single-ended dedicated two-channel outputs. But the BDP-95 delivers its best sound only from these two-channel outputs. Multichannel music gets less attention.”

“While the Nuforce BDP-93NXE offers slightly less fidelity from two-channel only sources when compared to the BDP-95, it outperforms the BDP-95 on multichannel material. In the end it all comes down to whether you wish to optimize your two-channel or multichannel listening experiences. If two-channel is your bailiwick the OPPO BDP-95 would be your best sonic choice, but if multichannel is where it’s at for you then the BDP-93 NXE is the one you should bring home.”

By the way, when I was thinking of upgrading to the OPPO BDP 105, I called OPPO and was told that the audio quality of the BDP 105 is unaltered from that of the BDP 95. So if it is true that my Nuforce/OPPO BDP 93 NXE outperforms the 95 (As is stated above, I have not personally compared them), then it would also outperform the BDP 105 (still talking about multi-channel, mind you).

I don't know if Nuforce is still selling BDP 93 units already modified. I checked their website and I saw that they are still selling the NE board (which you can easily install yourself as there in no soldering) for a reduced price. No mention of the NXE board however. If you are interested, you might call them. They just might have a unit or two already modified, or some NXE boards... or even a demo unit... just sitting around. Today if you can find an NXE board or even an already complete BDP 93 NXE, most likely it would end up costing you less than the BDP 105 (although when I bought it a over 3 years ago, it cost more than the OPPO BDP 95... but not much more).
    In any case, I think that the OPPO players are some of the best value on the market. They play well above their price point; they play all formants - I can even play WAV DVD ROM discs that I purchased from MA Recordings (what a treat that is!) - and they offer a whole range of features that even if you don't use them now you may in the future... and all for a very affordable price. Plus OPPO customer service may be the best in the world. On one occasion they replaced a player for me even when they could not get it to do that which I was complaining about... and this was AFTER the warranty had run out by several months.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of OPPO's products.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Rich Seitz likes this.
  7. Ernie Adams

Yes, but the Emotiva costs 499.00 without any discounts. You can, many times, get one for about 450.00. The Nuforce upgrade, along with the cost of the Oppo is in the 1000's. I have not heard the player, but I have been told the stock Oppo's are not quite where the Emotiva ERC-3 player is in audio only. Of course, the Oppo's do a lot more things than the Emotiva does. You will ultimately have to decide if you want a player that is good for Video as well as Audio. I found my Panasonic BDT-220 is all I need for Movies since my system is primarily 2 channel audio and not really a Home Theater set up. Even so, the Movies over my Snell Type C's are amazing. Star Trek Into the Darkness is a joy to watch and FEEL!!! Again, ultimately you will have to decide if you are looking for Audio only or if you want to do Video/ Audio, etc and is it worth the cost of the 95 or 105 player plus the cost of the modifications. You also want to make sure the mods won't void your warranty. I do know that Oppo does allow some mods to be done by certain companies. I wish you well.
    Lolligagger and Rich Seitz like this.
  8. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

Thanks guys, a lot of useful info here. I'll be looking in to this!
  9. Lolligagger

Lolligagger Member

Mine did not cost in the 1000's. When I bought my OPPO/Nuforce BDP 93 NXE directly from Nuforce, it cost $1,398 (the OPPO BDP 93 unmodified cost $499 and the Nuforce modification cost $899. The NE board at that time cost $400. It is now being sold by Nuforce for $200. I was thinking that since the NE board is costing half as much, perhaps Nuforce might still have an NXE board that would also sell for half the original price, thus for only $400. Or perhaps they might have an already modified 93 NXE demo that they want to sell. Perhaps not, but it would be worth it to me to call and find out if I were interested.
    That said, I just did a research on line and was shocked to find out that the unmodified OPPO BDP 93 which originally was sold by OPPO for $499, is now costing $1,999 new, $999 refurbished and $499 used on Amazon and on Ebay it is $1,799 new.
    So it looks like Ernie is right. To duplicate that for which I paid $1,399 less than 3 years ago, today I would have to pay close to $3000.
    The OPPO BDP 105 on Amazon costs $1,199 and the BDP 103 costs $499 (same as OPPO's price for them). On Ebay, the current 105 is costing $1,499 and I saw the 103 for $649.
    I DON'T GET IT!!!! Why would anybody go on Ebay and pay more for a current product that they can get for less either from the manufacturer or from Amazon?
    And, more importantly, why oh why would anybody pay from $1,300 to $1, 500 dollars more for an older out of date product (the BDP 93) that originally sold for only $499?????? Can anybody help me understand this?
    I know that cost is not the indication of fine SQ reproduction. And it is even possible that the Emotiva ERC-3 player is superior to my BDP 93 NXE. The only way I would ever know for sure is if I tried one. Since I am eminently happy with my player, that is not likely to happen. Besides I just found out that I have a $2800 player.
    What a joke!:rolleyes::D
    Ernie Adams and Rich Seitz like this.
  10. Ernie Adams

Yes, you did very well indeed Lolligagger. The only problem with the Emotiva is that is is audio only and it will not play full SACD discs. For me that is not an issue. It will play the SACD layer of a Redbook CD though. One thing in this hobby is to do your research. I recently picked up a Sony RCD-W500C recorder/cd player at GoodWill for 20 dollars. A bit of research showed this player had an incredible dynamic range for its time frame. I have it hooked up in my basement system. Not the Emotiva, but it will give most players a real run for their money. I also learned that the older Vandersteen/Snell/ and Thiel speakers are some pretty good stuff and you can get them for not to bad a price if you are careful. Put them with Emotiva Amps and pre-amps, along with the CD player and Morrow cables and you are in very decent Audiophile quality for not to bad a price...........if a few thousand is considered not to bad a price. The upgrade bug does have a way of getting to you. I'm already up to MA-5 cables, SP6 Speaker cables, and my PH6 cables are supposed to be ready this week.........TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK AND MAKE SOME MORE MONEY!!!
    Rich Seitz likes this.
  11. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

Yeah the Oppo prices are all over the map! I don't get it either. The Amazon prices on the 105 are for buying and shipping right from Oppo. The 95 on Amazon from 3rd parties new for $1699.oo! My head is spinning :confused: The ERC-3 might be what I would go with for now given that I'm really not looking for all the bells and whistles. Just a good solid CD player with a nice DAC. My Adcom lasted all these years just for that fact.
  12. Ernie Adams

The Emotiva DAC is one of the best in their ERC-3 player. Go to their site and do your research. Check the forums and see what others are saying. I found it to have an amazing soundstage with incredible instrument placement. My speakers totally disappear. My nephew came over yesterday and asked where I hid my center speaker. I don't have one.....Just 2 channel. I have Morrow MA-5's hooked between the CD player and pre-amp. Also, I did get an upgraded power cord from another company that really made things sing.
    Rich Seitz likes this.
  13. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

Now yes, must do some work to pay for this! My SP7's are in the pipeline! Right Mike Morrow? :)
  14. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

When I upgraded about a year ago I thought long and hard about the Oppo players. I really had no need for video and I actually preffered the sound of the Marantz sa8004.I found the Marantz to be more laid back and dare I say analog sounding. I also didn't want to pay for video technology that I would never use. Just my two cents
  15. Lolligagger

Lolligagger Member

I still would like someone to tell me how it is that a player which cost only $499 a couple of years ago direct from OPPO, today can cost $1,999 new... and that's on Amazon. You can't even buy the 93 from OPPO anymore. I only found it on Amazon and on Ebay ($1,799). I have never heard of such a thing before. According to OPPO, it has been surpassed by the 103 and the 105 (which costs only $1,199). I just don't get it. Shouldn't the price on the stock BDP 93 have gone down?
    I do use my OPPO/Nuforce 93 NXE for watching movies, but that is not why I bought it. I am not a videophile. As long as the picture is decent I am happy. I really bought it for the sound and I like to have great sound even when I am watching films,... not so much the sound effects (although that can be pretty effective and really involve you in the film) but rather for the music, even the music in a film's soundtrack. I really like the soundtrack of a movie to sound great.
    But more than that what I really bought it for is the NXE's ability to reproduce really fine multi-channel music: Bluray, SACD, DVD-A. In my experience so far no format out there comes as close to analogue as a well recorded Bluray disc... especially when you are talking about large scale orchestral works, which I enjoy a lot. It really is something. The fact that it works so well at reproducing film soundtracks is just icing on the cake. I cannot however comment on the sound quality of any of the stock OPPO players as I have not had one for quite awhile. I can only recount that which my NXE modified OPPO BDP 93 gives me... and, in my opinion, it gives me a lot.
    Also I do not avail myself of the bells and whistles. I don't stream. I don't use HDMI. I do have it toslink connected to my Auralic Vega in the event that I might play two channel discs in any of their many formats. The Vega is a GREAT sounding DAC and it elevates the already great SQ of the 93 NXE by a very large margin. But even so, I rarely use it for 2 channel playback because I prefer to use my MacMini as music server feeding into the Vega via USB for that. Thus all my two channel music gets downloaded into the computer. I prefer this because the signal in the computer is digitally room corrected and when this is done the speakers and the room play together. They are consonat... not fighting each other and this I find to be the absolute best 2 channel solution, by far. Having the DRC done was one of the absolute best things that I have done so far. Since the signal gets processed in the computer, there is no component added to the signal chain to color the sound. Everything sounds natural, only more open, wider, deeper, more tonally accurate and better sorted out. What the DRC does is let you hear what your system/speakers are really capable of when they are not being befuddled by room anomalies.
    The speaker/room interaction is so important that I would recommend having that done before buying any new component or upgrade. See what your present system can really do before changing it. You might be surprised.
    Can't do it if you are using a turntable though. It is only for digital.
  16. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

I wish I had an answer for you. I'm just as confused about Oppo. I've looked into DRC but I've done my own room treatment. I'm pretty satisfied with the results. One of the best upgrades anyone can do! I've been an audio engineer in a number of different mixing rooms and have experience in the treatment of them.
    On the Emotiva player. I just called them and interestingly enough, they're completely sold out of them until the 3rd of Feb. I could pre-order if I wanted. They said they have 14 of them coming in. Guess they make them in small batches? I'm thinking for the price I might.
  17. Lolligagger

Lolligagger Member

Can I interpret this as being a good sign? That they are sold out because they are so good? Of course this might depend on just how many they had to sell in the first place. How long have they been making and selling the ERC-3?
    I will be interested in your assessment of it after you have lived with it for a while.
  18. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

I believe it came out around Nov. Maybe they make them in small batches to keep quality in check? Hmm. Wishful thinking? I'll see what their return policy is like. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, my father in law has one of their amps and he's been happy with it and their customer service.
  19. Ernie Adams

First run of the ERC-3 shipped on 12/2. The second run on 12/23. Not sure on the next runs. There were 30 on the first run. I got one of the last 2 shipped. I don't want to be accused of trying to sell something here. I am giving my opinion of the player, since I own it. It is the best CD player I have ever had....PERIOD. The soundstage is amazing. There is a depth now that is very real. Detail and placement of instruments is also quite good. It will definitely tell you if the recording is bad. It is not the be all and end all for everyone. But, if you are like me and like an "audio" CD player that is built like a tank and performs with the big boys, this is the one........AGAIN, MY OPINION, NOT TRYING TO SELL ANYONE ANYTHING.
  20. Rich Seitz

Rich Seitz Member

Ernie, they ship next on 2/4 They said there are 14 of them. I appreciate your input and your opinion. So small runs seem to be the norm for them. so I guess they're a small market for them now.