turning a corner

Discussion in 'My breakin questions, experience or advice' started by Michael M., Jan 26, 2016.

1. Michael M.

Michael M. New Member

I recently purchased SP2's and PH2's. I had 2 day break-in service on each. When they arrived, I had the PH2's connected to my CD player and running 24/7, and had the speakers running as much as possible as well (~12 hours per day.) After about a week of that, I connected the ph2's to my turntable, and began pretty much normal listening - that was a maybe a week and a half ago I think. Everything sounded at least a little better than my previous cable setup.

Today, the system turned a corner. I put Traffic's 'Shootout at the Fantasy Factory' on the turntable yesterday, and it sounded pretty damn good. Today, however, I listened again to both sides twice and by the second time through, and all I could say is -- "Holy crap!" Something has changed in the last day, maybe even in the last hour, and I'm not sure whether it's the SP2's, the PH2s, or both, but wow.... The whole system suddenly just opened way up - warmer, darker, lush sonic deliciousness, bigger soundstage, more precision, better everything. Now I get to see if the trend continues; and if it does, well -- that's just icing on the damn cake! I'm so happy...

:D:D

For the record, I'm a very budget user compared to most of you here -- in fact, my budget is about as small as my little one bedroom house, which really only needs (or even can handle) bookshelf speakers ;-) All of that said, my little budget system sounds, to my ears, light years better than most of my friends' *much* more expensive setups.

My set up is: Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable (with a few key upgrades - Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge, acrylic platter, speed box, record clamp), Rega Brio-r amp (w/ AudiQuest NRG2 power cable), Wharfedale 10.2 bookshelf speakers, and a Fuhrman PL-Plus C power conditioner. I also have a crappy Denon Cd player, but I listen to vinyl about 95% of the time. As I said, I have Morrow SP2's & PH2's, and I also have some MA1's connected to my Music Fidelity headphone amp.

My next purchase is likely a slight speaker upgrade, followed by a turntable upgrade. For speakers, I'm planning to wait until the new Elac Uni-fi UB5 comes out in April to audition those - the reviews have been spectacular, and at $500, they're right in my range. Also looking at the Monitor Audio bronze speakers, which they carry at a nearby audio store. I will audition turntables after that, but I've only barely started my research for that endeavor. Any recommendations on next step speakers / turntables would be appreciated. Cheers.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Morrow Audio likes this.
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Welcome. I am partial to quality vintage speakers. I really like the Snells. If you are careful and can wait, the E II's in original and very good condition are quite nice. I recently found a set of Infinity RS6's at a thrift store for 10 dollars. I put 25 into them with new grill cloth and a refinishing of the cabinets and they look great. They are not as good as the Snells, but for the money, are amazing.

For a turntable, I had a Debut III that I modified to your level. Nice table. However, when I got my Music Hall 9.1 and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, I was blown away. The real problem ther is budget. Once you get to the 2,000 dollar range there are lots of good tables, I.E. Clear Audio, entry VPI's, etc.

I wish you well, and welcome to the forums.
  3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Welcome Michael. In my opinion when on a tight budget it's hard to beat the used market. Even when not on a tight budget the possibilities are so much greater. Much if not most of my acquisitions have been from the used market. It's great to see another Morrow enthusiast. Enjoy and looking forward to hearing more from you.
  4. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

The vortex is here, making a new friend!