What would be your ideal used record store?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Morrow Audio, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Morrow Audio

Morrow Audio Mike Morrow Staff Member

What would make you go crazy over a used record store? What would make you keep coming back? What perks and ideas can you come up with, things that you would implement if the record store was yours? How about the looks and decorations? Display ideas? How about listening cubicles with headphones to listen to the record before buying? Give us your ideas!
  2. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Simple: Laid out in alphabetical order by categories. Graded on a scale that tells what condition the album is. Nice if the albums are cleaned first, then in poly sleeves...........and of course at a reasonable price.
    David C. Snyder and Lewis Smith like this.
  3. Francis

Francis Active Member

Could be sorted by release years.
    Might have a touch screen beside to tell some background (charts ranking, popularties) about the album as for me some good albums might release even before I was born and I don't know about it.
    Try in store before you buy, especially on a system set all hooked up with MA elite cables!!
    Rental service?
  4. Morrow Audio

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
  5. I think having a space where customers would enjoy hanging out would be nice. Rather than narrow isles winding between bins stuffed with albums, I'd like to have a place to sit down, enjoy a cup of coffee, and scroll through the store's inventory while listening to whatever album the shopkeep is spinning on the turntable behind the checkout. I'd also be willing to pay a few extra bucks to have the albums that I purchased digitally recorded via a quality table. Definitely having some reliable indication of both the quality of the pressing and the condition of the albums would be helpful. On-site ultrasonic record cleaning available for use by frequent customers or as a service would be a very nice perk.

Disclaimer...I don't actually own a turntable (yet), but I'm fascinated by vinyl playback. :)
  6. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

Once you go vinyl, you won't go back. IMHO
  7. Morrow Audio

I was actually thinking along the same lines. I envision a separate room where there is a free coffee bar and leather easy chairs to sit in. I am trying to figure out a comfortable way to have right by each chair a turntable, amp and headphones where you can spin and listen to the LP's that you are considering buying. At first I thought of a room with cubical tables, but the easy chair/ LP playing station sounds better and more inviting, but how to arrange that?

I think a few cleaning stations is a great idea too. You buy the record and then go clean it before leaving.

The light bulb just went off! How about little coffee tables in front of each chair with the table and amp sitting on them? You sit down, put on your record and headphones, adjust the level and sit back in the easy chair looking at the record cover?
  8. I suppose it depends on how the space is laid out, but perhaps you could put the turntables on wall shelves behind the chairs. VPI Nomad turntables would be great since they have a built-in headphone amp...but I'm not sure if there's budget for a dozen or so $1k turntables. :)
  9. So tempting....
    Add to cart link removed. We sell SOTA turntables... no hard feelings David. Mike Morrow
    Trouble is that I'm using digital room correction to make my loudspeakers work in my room. Since I already have to convert to digital to apply room correction, I'd much prefer to perform RIAA equalization in the digital domain as well. So...I'd want to find a solution like Channel D's Pure Vinyl with a plug-in that will perform real-time convolution using FIR filters.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2016